Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-dc1004nu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few months ago I posted a thread regarding the integrated GPU of the 2019 Omen 15 and how it was not detected by any operating system( Thread ). It turned out that HP decided it will be a good idea to factory disable the iGPU and to restrict the customer's access in the BIOS (with the missing Advanced tab). Of course, I was very upset by this since it was never mentioned in the HP website. All I could see was that the laptop had an i7-8750H processor (which by default has a working iGPU). I sent an email to customer support and the response I got was among the lines of "We didn't state that the integrated card was supported". So instead of taking action and editing the specifications page of the laptop (so that they can notify future buyers that the iGPU is disabled) they just waved their hand as if it's not their problem. Well, today I was checking if there were any new driver updates on the official HP page  and I noticed this:

Capture.PNG

They actually show a driver for the integrated video card. The same card that is "factory disabled". The driver did not work and neither of my operating systems (Win 10 and Linux Mint) can detect the card. My question is this: will the customers ever get a firmware update so we can use the iGPU? And why was the iGPU disabled in the first place?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Maddest_Hatta 

The dc1xxx series no longer supports Optimus (switchable graphics). With higher video card (above GTX 1050) the iGPU is disabled. Some dc0xxx machines have lower specs video cards.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Banhien

That still leaves a lot of questions unanswered. For instance: why was it not mentioned in the specs of the laptop? Disabling a large function of the processor is worth mentioning, don't you think? And why is there a driver shown in the official support page when the iGPU is disabled? I've been buying and using HP products for the past 14 years and I've never had a problem, until now. Not stating that the iGPU is disabled is misleading to the customers. I spent so much money on this machine, thinking that it was fully functional. It's very disappointing, to say the least.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.