Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 17-CB1041NF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey-ho there,

I have a HP OMEN 17-CB1041NF. This unit came with:

- a display @144Hz

- a RTX 2070 Super 8G DDR5

- a I7-10750H

- and a mini-DisplayPort!

So, on my actual internal G-SYNC compatible display, frequency is at 144Hz.

Here my question: If I use an external screen (as a second one) which can works until 240Hz and plug in on the mini-DisplayPort, what the best frequency could I hope on this monitor (the external one I mean)?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Old_Dad 

The normal rule is refresh rate goes up, resolution will go down. I believe it is miniDP 1.2, for 60Hz:

Unlike its Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI predecessors, the Mini DisplayPort can drive display devices with resolutions up to 2560×1600 (WQXGA) in its DisplayPort 1.1a implementation, and 4096×2160 (4K) in its DisplayPort 1.2 implementation.

Now you can work out for 240Hz, the resolution would be 1920 x 1080 or less.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed, I agree with this theory, but the real question is, did HP limit the bandwidth or could I really have 240Hz in FHD (1920*1080) on this port?

And if I want a better resolution, cause the maximum bandwidth to be sent through a DP 1.2 cable is 17.28 Gbps, could I use the Thunderbolt 3 connector with a DP adaptator to get a better resolution for the same refresh rate (bandwidth for TB3 is around 40Gbps)?

Regards

HP Recommended

So? HP Experts don't know?

HP Recommended

ok. I tried and it works, at least in FHD (1920x1080) in 240Hz. Tried only on mini-DisplayPort, not with the Thunderbolt.

Regards and take care.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.