mattberr Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

One of the thunderbolt 3 port on my Spectre x360 (kaby lake) cannot connect to an external display

Hp Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased an Hp Spectre x360 from BestBuy. The laptop ran great and gave me no issues until I hooked the laptop on a 4K monitor. There are two thunderbolt 3 ports on the machine, one actually works fine connecting to the external display. However, the other thunderbolt 3 port does not project anything on the external display. In addition, the internal display blacks out. I know for a fact that both thunderbolt 3 port should be able to project to an external display (even multiple) but that is not the case for me. In need of technical support or guidance.

6 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
45224 4256 10773
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

One of the thunderbolt 3 port on my Spectre x360 (kaby lake) cannot connect to an external display

What are you using to connect the 4k display to the USB Type C  3.1 Gen 2 ports?

I am curious since the 2017 product loan that is enroute to me is a Spectre x360 13-ac000.

You can say thanks for my help by clicking on the Thumbs up .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
mattberr Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am using a USB-C to HDMI cable.
0 Kudos
Alessandro-Gti Top Student
Top Student
5 0 1
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I doubt is a cable problem, more a firmware or bios. My new spectre also doesnt support anymore third party charger. Even the omen acceleartor ga1 doesnt work anymore! No support so far. Sell it and change brand!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
45224 4256 10773
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What is the  specific product name or product number is your ultrabook?

While booted into Windows, hold down the Fn key + the Esc key to see that information. Please post it here.

You can use the Windows Key + P to select what the output should do.  If you set it to mirror then both displays should still be on.

You are right. Both ports should work with the display. 

Try the key combination I suggested. It will give you four options + the ability to connect to a wireless display.

Do both ports work with the power adapter? 

Don't bother with using anything other than an HP OEM power adapter.

You can say thanks for my help by clicking on the Thumbs up .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
neocare43 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with a new HP Spectre x360 13-ae0xx. Solved by going to Hp support site. Support and Downloads. Driver-chipset. Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver (sp83931) Sept 27,2017. 

Downloaded and installed. Both ports now work for HDMI, Ethernet, power etc,

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
15260 1004 1655
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@neocare43,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues with the USB-C port not functioning on your HP laptop. Don't worry I'll be glad to help you with this.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Did it happen after a software update or Windows update?

Have you tried to use HP USB Type-C to RJ45 Adapter on both the USB ports available on your PC?

Have you tried to uninstall the USB root hubs?

In this scenario, this looks like a possible hardware failure with the port, before you could contact our HP phone support, I would suggest you try these steps here: 

Let's try to uninstall the USB root hub from Device manager: 

Uninstalling USB Root Hubs: Uninstalling USB Root Hubs forces the system to reinstall the root hubs next time the computer is started. Use the following steps to uninstall USB Root Hubs:

1. Disconnect all USB devices connected to the computer except a USB mouse and keyboard (if in use). This includes hubs, thumb drives, printers, and cameras.

2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

The Device Manager window opens.

3. Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand the list.

Figure : Universal Serial Bus controllers list in Device Manager window

Universal Serial Bus controllers list in Device Manager window
  4. Right-click the first USB Root Hub in the list, then select Uninstall.

Figure : Uninstall selection in the Device Manager window

Uninstall selection in the Device Manager window

Click OK to confirm.

5. Continue uninstalling all USB Root Hubs listed.

6. Close Device Manager and restart the computer.

7. If the USB device that is having problems came with software and it was not previously installed, install the software now, following the manufacturer instructions.

8. Reconnect the USB device that was having problems and test it to see if it works.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to try to connect the HP USB Type-C to RJ45 Adapter to both the Thunderbolt ports and check if it works.

If nothing works, then this could be a possible hardware failure with the port. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation