Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-ce0505sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to connect a 4K monitor to my HP Pavilion 14-ce0505sa laptop using the USB type-c port on my laptop. My monitor has a displayport 1.2  port so I am trying to find a USB type-c to display port adapter or cable that works for this purpose. I recently just bought this one but my laptop didnt recognise the cable being connected at all. 

The specs for the external ports on the HP ce0505sa state (from here😞

"1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.2, HP Sleep and Charge); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge); 1 HDMI 1.4; 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo"

Therefore, it is my understanding that the USB type-c port on my laptop is capable of the alternative mode of DP 1.2 for video output at 4K 60Hz resolution but I do not know what sort of cable or adapter is compatible. Does it need to be an active adapter? Or is there something I need to change in my laptop settings for the USB-c port to recognise the alternative DP 1.2 mode? Any suggestions  and adapter recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

First of all, @KrazyToadno, the USB-C port does not have to be Thunderbolt 3 in order to output displays.

@Daft_Dragon I truly regret to inform you that this model's web specifications suffer from incorrect specifications.

It only supports data transfer... I've checked with your laptop's Maintenance and Service Guide as well as some internal HP documents.

I'd recommend returning the adapter ASAP.

Hope that helps,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@Daft_Dragon

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Do you have a Thunderbolt logo on the USB Type-C port?

Only USB Type-C Thunderbolt can be used to connect external displays

Keep me posted

Thank you and have a great day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

No i don't have a thunderbolt logo on the USB type-c port, it just has the default USB symbol with the triple branching wire. But it is my understanding that the alternative mode for USB-c  of DP 1.2 should work, especially seeing as displayport 1.2 is clearly mentioned in the official HP specifications. I have the i7 version of the laptop which clearly states the displayport 1.2 bit in the USB specs opposed to the i5 version for which the specs only mention data transfer for the usb type-c. Therefore, it looks like the i7 usb type-c port is supposed to have more capabilities than the i5 version (i.e. video output).

HP Recommended

@Daft_Dragon

I understand your concerns and frustration

I have sent you a private message with the next course of action

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

First of all, @KrazyToadno, the USB-C port does not have to be Thunderbolt 3 in order to output displays.

@Daft_Dragon I truly regret to inform you that this model's web specifications suffer from incorrect specifications.

It only supports data transfer... I've checked with your laptop's Maintenance and Service Guide as well as some internal HP documents.

I'd recommend returning the adapter ASAP.

Hope that helps,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. After reading your links, I've come to the same conclusion. Very annoying that they lie in the specifications but at least I know now. Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with a Pavilion 14-ce0009nf

The specs says its USB-C port supports Alternate DisplayPort Mode

I have tried with the Novoo USB-C dock : https://amzn.to/2MhmkXj

The manufacturer says it should work with USB ports supporting Alternate Displayport Mode (even if it's an HDMI output), but it doesn't. No USB graphics detected in the device manager.

Also, HP sells 2 different USB Docks with HDMI-only outputs pretending to be compatible with Pavilion 14-cexxxxx :

https://is.gd/HwZz6A

HP® Computer and Laptop Store | HP.com

Could someone at HP tell us which USB-C to HDMI chips are supported ? And which computers support HDMI or DP through USB-C ? I have bought this model upon this criteria....

HP Recommended

Hi there, 

I am quite keen to know the resolution to this issue as I too am extremely frustrated at not managing to get this working. 

Please let me know. 

Regards, 

Chad

HP Recommended

Looks like HP doesn't care about us.

I might send this computer back.
Heats a lot, fans are very loud, does weird click sounds when playing videos (with sound muted), can't figure out how external display works via USB-C, does not work with usb-C docks, no info...
And it's 10 times slower than my i7 NUC which is 5 years older...

HP Recommended

Yeah it’s pretty annoying - I would return it if I could but I bought it a few months ago. When I did, 4K 60hz wasn’t a requirement for me but now it is and it’s annoying that it’s been misadvertised. 

Even more annoying is that we have been making noise about it on these support forums and the resolution on all the threads seem to end in a direct message being sent to the person who started the thread. Not very helpful for others. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.