Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

my HP Pavilion 15 (laptop) had 2 issues, I believe following installation of some MS updates (I am on W10 1903) or power failure (let's not always blame Windows 🙂 )

1. Touchpad not working as it used to

2. 2 black lines/borders appearing on the monitor (1 at the top and 1 on the right hand side), resulting in the Windows screen not taking the full monitor size.

For issue #1, I managed to fix it by downloading the touchpad driver from the HP site and re-installing it (replacing the Alps one - which I did not install, but which Windows did).

For issue #2, I spent quite some time to try several things, and could not fix it. After many trials and errors (see details below), I came to the conclusion the issue is related to the wrong monitor driver (the one that is used is for a Microsoft one from 2006 for "Generic PnP Monitor"). But I cannot find anywhere to download that driver from.

--> Does anyone know where to find the HP driver for the HP Pavilion monitor ?

Or does anyone already had this issue and knows how to fix it ?

Thanks in advance for the help !

Here is what I did (all these failed):

-Played with various screen resolution values - did not fix anything (the recommended value does not fit the screen - had to set it to 1280x720 instead of 1280x800). I tried this both from Windows settings and from Intel configuration (the laptop came with Intel HD 4000) . There, I noticed I did not have anymore the usual choices of resolution, and could not select a different frequency than the default one (58Hz). As well, in the Intel configuration screen, I have no option for overscan.

-Updated the Intel video card driver (Intel HD 4000) and rebooted

-Deleted the video card and the monitor in Device Manager (to force driver reinstallation) and rebooted

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BothuPol The monitor works with generic drivers, there usually isn't a separate driver offered for the monitor, that said, you could check if there are specific drivers available on the HP website: click here to find and install the same using the model name of the monitor.

That said, I suggest you check with an alternate monitor to check if that appears fine, without the black lines among other display failures, and if you don't have an alternate monitor, please restart the computer, tap on F10 during a restart and check if the display issues occurs on it.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@BothuPolThe monitor works with generic drivers, there usually isn't a separate driver offered for the monitor, that said, you could check if there are specific drivers available on the HP website: click here to find and install the same using the model name of the monitor.

That said, I suggest you check with an alternate monitor to check if that appears fine, without the black lines among other display failures, and if you don't have an alternate monitor, please restart the computer, tap on F10 during a restart and check if the display issues occurs on it.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Thanks for your answer.

No driver on the HP site.

Same size problem when in BIOS.

Same issue with with Ubuntu (booted an an USB drive)

No issue when connecting to my TV screen via HDMI.

But .... Today I applied September patches. After reboot .... It was back: Windows taking the full screen size ! Yippee  ---> I created a restoration point.

Stopped my PC (shutdown). Later restarted it ... And again issue with Windows not taking the full screen 😞

--> restored my restoration point --> after reboot, full screen size again !

--> will spend some time later to see if I can notice anything on the driver's side.

But to be honest, this drives me mad ...

HP Recommended

@BothuPol If the same issue occurs on BIOS, it confirms a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options,

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.