Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab210cy (Touch)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, To start with, let me say, this problem has gone on for over a year and that I am quite technically adept so its likely not a simple answer and I have tried most of the easy answers. 
So, last year I installed some ram on a upgrade, and shortly after windows did a massive update, not sure which update, but I remember reading that it caused a lot of people problems. 

Right after this update, I noticed that I lost the touch screen, webcam, and DVD drive.  I didn't put it together that it was the update and not me knocking something loose internally until I took the system apart again last week.  I assumed the problem incorrectly was hardware-based because the devices no longer appear at all in my device manager.  This makes most of the troubleshooting steps for this unit under the HP  guides impossible as they all require them to have a place in the DEVICE MANAGER.  At this point, the hardware has been checked and it was there and looks to be hooked up fine the cables look good no crimps, all seated well. 
I just don't get it, the computer just cant see the equipment that's pulled in.  My research says that the drivers and devices might be hidden and are no longer in the registry but I don't do reg edits and cant read them. 

Windows 10 home, 1903   os build 18362.1082 installed 1/6/2020  Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab210cy (Touch), 16 gigs ram, upgraded. 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

WIN 10 1903 was a long time ago (2 years ?), the current version is 202H (Dec ‎2020) 

Copy and paste  HP Support Assistant   to the search box in the taskbar then open the app.  

The half man icon on the left-hand side allows you to register for a HP account I presume you have already done this because you are in this forum. Then add your device which usually requires your devices serial number. This allows the HP Support Assistant to give your device the correct updates .

Click on the check for updates in the top right-hand side. Install any updates, restart the device and repeat the process. 

On the HP Support Assistant home page there is a Fixes & Diagnostic tab, select See all fixes and diagnostics. 

A new window opens with a Check your operating system tab, select  launch (bottom of tab)

A new window opens, let it do its magic. 

Keep checking if there is any new updates in the HP Support Assistant. When your device is up todate, restart your device.

Copy and paste  Check for updates  to the search box in the taskbar then open the app. 

WIN 10 updates may take some time, leave ir running overnight. 

HP Recommended

I went ahead and updated, but all drivers were already updated, I was able to get windows to update to no effect, Ran HP diagnostics again, as well as a virtual help assistant.  its up too  Version 2004     19041.630 
HP reports the computer is in perfect working order, but it say that it doesn't have touch, a webcam or an optical drive still. 

So clearly not the answer, as I stated I have hit most of the simple answers, drivers have all be updated, as well as youcam, at least the ones I can down load like the display driver.

HP Recommended

Simple stuff.

When you open HP Support Assistant can you login with your HP account, does your device display on the home page?

The Current WIN 10 version is 202H. 

Restart your device and run WIN update again.

HP Recommended

My secondary device runs WIN 10 Home and was V2004,  installed 15/08/2020 and  it has not been connected to a network for a few months.

The update to WIN Home 202H was not a success today. I have choosen to retry and it is re-downloading Defender, Net, and Malicious Software Tool to update V2004 before I can upgrade to to 202H. It may take me a couple of days to get to 202H.

HP Recommended

retry WIN 10 update
installed Defender,Net and Malicious Software Tool
after it completed successfully

Settings,System,About

Windows specifications
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 2004
Installed on 15/08/2020
OS Build: 19041.685
Experience: 120.2212.551.0

Performed a quick scan

Settings,Windows Security,Virus & threat protection
Select quick scan
compelted successfully in 2.5 minutes

Check for (Windows) update (again)
Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2
select download and install
Yet another Defender update along with V202H
restart required when installed

I had previously spent a while down loading V202H (0.8 Gbs) 

Success Win 10 Home V202H.

HP Recommended

Look, I have an account, yes the device displays and yes it is up to date and shows that there is no problems with the system.  Its not a windows update issue can we stop obsessing on that? The HP assistant isn't going to fix this.  HP diagnostic stays the system gets a pass on all systems, but it doesn't detect touch on the system

I have a registry issue or something,  the computer just doesn't see the hardware, they don't show up in the device manager if they don't show up there, the HP assistant isn't going to see them either and will not give them the right drivers.  The driver for the touch screen and camera are inside of other drivers, the monitor runs the touch screen driver, and it is up to date, like just with the non-touch version.  

HP Recommended

HP Support app home page should show that you are logged in and your device is listed.
Support resources -> explore
Support Resources web page opens
HP Product Support Center -> Click here >
Error message appears but after about 10 seconds the browser is redirected to a page spesific to my HP device.
Software. I sign in at top right
A new webpage opens with the Go option which takes me to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads.
The interesting part is to choose the correct WIN 10 V202H (if your are todate) -> change
Driver-Keyboard, Mouse and Input devices (5)
May have the orginal HP driver which shipped with your system. If you have that option why not download and install it.

HP Recommended

If the original drivers were available, don't you think I would have already tried that?  Drivers for these devices are not listed as downloadable, likely because they are not detectable.   The touch driver is part of the graphics driver and it seems to only show the non-touch driver,  there is no web cam or optical drive drivers at all listed.  My guess is the Software for the youcam suite has the Driver for the HP true cam, got me where the DVD driver is. 

HP Recommended

I have never heard of the youcam suite of programs and am unfamilar with your specific device.

I am trying to give gerenic ideas to forum users. I have based this advice around HP Support Assistant because HP smarts should be able to help do the donkey work and point to solutions. There are many different pathways accessible from this app.

HP Support Assistant - Driver updates

After typing HP Support Assistant in the search box in the taskbar, open the app.

HP Support Assistant app home page should show that you are logged in and your device is listed.

If not the half man icon on the lefthand side will allow you to fill in your name and email. Then add your device which usually requires your devices serial serial number. This allows the HP Support Assistant to give your device the correct updates.

The latest HP Drivers for your device are listed when you click the check for updates on the top right hand side of the HP Support Assistant home page. However it is worthwhile to manually check

HP Support Assistant home web page
Support resources -> explore
Support Resources web page opens
HP Product Support Center -> Click here >
Error message appears but after about 10 seconds the browser is redirected to a page spesific to your HP device.
I sign in (again) at top right of window.
A new webpage opens with the Go option which takes me to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads.

A new feature is that users can choose drivers which match the WIN updates currently installed on your device.
The interesting part is to choose the correct WIN 10 version (V202H if your WIN 10 64 bit is up todate) click in the version box then scroll down to the end and choose V202H -> change. The WIN 10 version number will update with your choice.

HP Windows diagnostic app
The lastest version is 1.6.7.0 navigate to

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.