Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion Notebook not recognizing external monitor

Pavilion 13-s154sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I often need to connect my computer to external projectors and monitors.  Normally it works fine - the display automatically switches to extended desktop between the laptop's built-in display the external monitor or projector, but sometimes (about once a week at the moment), when I connect the projector or monitor to the HDMI port nothing happens, and the monitor doesn't show up in any of the display management software - Windows 10 Display Settings, or the Intel HD Graphics Properties or Graphics Options.  Restarting the computer doesn't help.  

On four occasions I managed to fix the problem by reinstalling the Display Driver.  Part way through the installation process, the external display would simply start working again.  However, yesterday when it failed to recognize a projector, reinstalling the display driver didn't help.

The problem has now happened with three different external displays:

- A VGA digital projector connecting via a UGreen HDMI-VGA adaptor

- A VGA display connecting via a (different) UGreen HDMI-VGA adaptor

- An HDMI monitor connected via an HDMI cable (which subsequently worked)

My display adaptor is an Intel(R) HD Graphics 520, and the driver I kept reinstalling was 1131206.inf - sp 74635

Any ideas?  I'm starting to suspect a hardware fault with the display adaptor.  Is there any way to run a diagnostic test on it?

3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Tomof2fishes,

Thanks for posing in the HP Support Forums.

I see you are having issues with UGreen HDMI-VGA adapter on your HP Pavilion x360 - 13-s154sa Notebook. As the Hdmi cable does work I would contact support for the UGreen HDMI-VGA adapter as this is not a driver issue.

Please get back to me how this goes.

To show that you like, or are thankful of my post, kindly click the Thumbs up below. 

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Tomof2fishes Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem has also occured with projectors connected directly with HDMI.  Every monitor / connector / projector / cable combination that has had the problem with my HP Pavilion notebook has worked perfectly with another computer, so the problem must be with this computer.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Tomof2fishes,

I feel that that would be correct if you could not connect with an HDMI cable. I would try a different Adapter.

If this does not help, you will need to contact HP. http://ow.ly/hYDI304vatT.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation