Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 2012 custom built HP Pavillion, suddenly the screen will flash black. I do have a dedicated video card. I'm wondering if I can just change out the video card for this laptop or not? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There hasn't bee a HP consumer notebook that came with a removable graphics card in 20 years.

'Dedicated or discrete' graphics means the GPU has its own memory system and doesn't rely on the system memory for graphics memory.

Check the service manual for your notebook.  You will not find any procedure to remove or replace the graphics adapter.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately the graphics adapter is an integral part of the motherboard.

If the graphics adapter failed, then the motherboard would have to be replaced.

HP Recommended

Thanks, even if I had a dedicated graphics card installed? I was told when I ordered it that it could be replaced. I guess that's not the case here?

HP Recommended

There hasn't bee a HP consumer notebook that came with a removable graphics card in 20 years.

'Dedicated or discrete' graphics means the GPU has its own memory system and doesn't rely on the system memory for graphics memory.

Check the service manual for your notebook.  You will not find any procedure to remove or replace the graphics adapter.

HP Recommended

Thanks it was probably my mis-understanding as I don't speak geek and my ex husband (former HP VP) just told me what to get and then did it. I got a screaming deal. It's purple...I love my purple, not skin, but purple laptop. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.