cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
RobbieB1
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Pavillion 15 Do I need a new video card?

HP Recommended
Pavillion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 2012 custom built HP Pavillion, suddenly the screen will flash black. I do have a dedicated video card. I'm wondering if I can just change out the video card for this laptop or not? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
136,294 93,987 20,959 28,309
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There hasn't bee a HP consumer notebook that came with a removable graphics card in 20 years.

'Dedicated or discrete' graphics means the GPU has its own memory system and doesn't rely on the system memory for graphics memory.

Check the service manual for your notebook.  You will not find any procedure to remove or replace the graphics adapter.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
5 REPLIES 5
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately the graphics adapter is an integral part of the motherboard.

If the graphics adapter failed, then the motherboard would have to be replaced.

RobbieB1
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, even if I had a dedicated graphics card installed? I was told when I ordered it that it could be replaced. I guess that's not the case here?

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There hasn't bee a HP consumer notebook that came with a removable graphics card in 20 years.

'Dedicated or discrete' graphics means the GPU has its own memory system and doesn't rely on the system memory for graphics memory.

Check the service manual for your notebook.  You will not find any procedure to remove or replace the graphics adapter.

View solution in original post

RobbieB1
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks it was probably my mis-understanding as I don't speak geek and my ex husband (former HP VP) just told me what to get and then did it. I got a screaming deal. It's purple...I love my purple, not skin, but purple laptop. 

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation