Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello community. I have HP ENVY x360 15-bp151na on Windows 10 64bit, build 1903. Every time after windows updates or intel.com installed me updates for Intel Rapid Storage HDC with driver version 16.8.3.1003 my laptop start freezing with black screen. Not possible to wake him or connect with remote connection. Helps only shut down and power it on. If i restore windows before updating, all goes well. Also i cant exclude this driver update from Windows Updates.

Before i understand that Black screen goes only of this driver i think that my Windows goes wrong and i reinstall it from clean installation.

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

@IceBreak Welcome to HP Community!

This seems to be a new problem when updating to W10 version 1903.

One fix that seems to have worked for some folks is to navigate to:

"C:\Windows\System32\drivers", then find the iaStorA.sys driver and rename it to iaStorA_old.sys

Try the update again.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I navigate to drivers folder, but i have only: iaStorAC.sys, iaStorAVC.sys and iaStorV.sys.

HP Recommended

@IceBreak That's alright, please edit all three and add the letter "A" at the end, for example: "iaStorACA.sys"

And retry the update, keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I rename this three files and nothing happens. hp.com, windows update or intel.com showing that all of drivers updates. I just cannot understand, at what time PC goes black ? I may happens every 10 minutes, or not happens whole week.

HP Recommended

@IceBreak to ensure this isn't a hardware malfunction with the black screens, I suggest we perform a test using the below steps:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

All seems ok. If you need i can attach log files.

Capture.PNG

HP Recommended

After checking disk and restarting system i think finally Device manager lost my driver.

And my 2nd m2 disk lost from disk manager.

Maybe it is because driver have problem ?

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-21 at 15.56.18.jpegWhatsApp Image 2019-09-21 at 15.56.54.jpegCapture.PNG

Then i roll back driver to Microsoft original, not from Intel 6 or 7th generation and HDD shows again.

HP Recommended

@IceBreak You are right about this being a driver issue considering the hardware tests have passed, since we've done everything else, I suggest you reset windows using this link: click here for steps.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sure i want to help you, but it will be a little bit after. 

How reset helps me ? As i wrote at my first message , after this problem affect me i was making setup of W10 from zero with deleting everything. As i understand the problem considering at Intel 6th generation of driver ? What else you can suggest for me ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.