Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 4 (201 Views)

Problem with Synaptics 3-Finger Swipe in Internet Explorer 11

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Spectre x360
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I'm using an HP Spectre x360, with Windows 8.1 (factory installed).  I have the most up-to-date Synaptics touchpad drivers, as obtained from the HP website under my computer model number.

The problem is when trying to use the Synaptics 3-finger swipe in Internet Explorer 11.  It does not work reliably.  Sometimes I'll have to swipe multiple times before the swipe will register and the browser will navigate backward or forward accordingly.  It seems as if there's some sort of focus problem, like an initial swipe or two creates the proper focus, and then a final swipe finally causes the appropriate navigation.  The behavior will change depending on the website.  For very simple sites, sometimes a single swipe will suffice, but with more complex sites, the problems tends to surface.

Can this be fixed with the Synaptics drivers, with a registry edit, or with some other hack?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 4 (155 Views)

Re: Problem with Synaptics 3-Finger Swipe in Internet Explorer 11

Hi@amt2,

Welcome to HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Issues with the swipe of touchpad. Is that right?

I would like to help you.

Would like to know more to find a solution.

• Does this happen with any applications (Microsoft word, any third party apps)?
  • Have you tried any third party browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Opera)?

Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Intern
Message 3 of 4 (142 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well I'm not sure many other applications have 3-finger swipe navigation, but one area where it works -- and very reliably -- is navigating the file system.

I'm not sure about those browsers, but I believe that when I briefly upgraded to Windows 10, the 3-finger swipe worked reliably with the new Edge Browser.

So perhaps the problem is the way IE11 deals with element focus?  I've opened an issue on the IE site, so I'll see if anything happens with that: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/issues/9289748/

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 4 (128 Views)

Hi@ amt2,

Thanks for the reply.

Check for any updates from Windows update and check if that helps.

Also, try updating the driver for the touchpad from the link below.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72501-73000/sp72919.exe

Thank you.

Let me know for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation