Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY Notebook I7-s013ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

New computer and tried doing this using a HDMI cable the same way as my last HP laptop, did not work.   Samsung TV and I hear movie sound but no picture. PC screen saver shows on TV but not the movie.  Can you discribe necessary steps in how to make this work. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Way18

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I do this regularly with my HP laptop and a TV -- and have no problems.  

Are you seeing the laptop screen mirrored on the TV?  You said you are seeing the screensaver on both the laptop and the TV, so my guess is that the answer is Yes.

So, it might be a problem with the video player.  If you are using Windows Media Player, or something from the MS Store, that's likely the problem.

I use VLC (VideoLAN player) and have no problems with it.

My suggestion is to download and try that -- and see if that works.

Also, click on the Notifications area in Win10, the Project box, and confirm that your laptop screen is mirrored to the external device.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Way18

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I do this regularly with my HP laptop and a TV -- and have no problems.  

Are you seeing the laptop screen mirrored on the TV?  You said you are seeing the screensaver on both the laptop and the TV, so my guess is that the answer is Yes.

So, it might be a problem with the video player.  If you are using Windows Media Player, or something from the MS Store, that's likely the problem.

I use VLC (VideoLAN player) and have no problems with it.

My suggestion is to download and try that -- and see if that works.

Also, click on the Notifications area in Win10, the Project box, and confirm that your laptop screen is mirrored to the external device.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks,

Myself being a old guy and not very computer smart and confirmed by having to call HP Support techs on two occasions I thought I would try your, "ALSO" click suggestion following the lay plan noted below that worked great and very few steps.

Our TV is samsung on a satellite dish signal and did not wish to disrupt its settings. Starting with everything off...

1. connect HDMI  cable to TV port and PC

2. Leaving the satellite system OFF, turn ONLY the TV on using TV's manufacturer's remote.

3. Go to TV Menu, select TV HDMI port plug connecting the PC

4. Turn PC on, allowing time to load up to start, go to Notification box, click on (Project box) In my case showed 4 choices.

(PC, Duplicate, Extent and Second screen only)  Click on Duplicate, Only one that worked for me and I have no idea when I would use the others.

5. Go to and click on whatever you wanted to watch/show on the big screen and I hope it worked as good for you as me.

Thanks WAWood, You have a great day...

Sincerely, Wayne

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply to this post.  I have a related problem.  I want to use a wall-mounted TV as a display to go through reports with my clients.  I'd preferthe connection to be wireless, but I'm not sure it's going to work.'

The set-up is as fllows:

I have a wireless router that my laptop is connect to wirelessly.

I have the TV connected to the router via Ethernet.

Is that enough to transfer the image from the laptop to the TV, or do I need something else?  I saw that an HDMI cable can be used to connect the TV directly to the laptop, but I wantt the connection to be wireless.

I can try Chromecast, but I understand that there is a delay.

Thanks for helping a technologically clueless guy.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.