Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JF1383
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Random Screen Display Flickering/Jumping on Brand New Pavilion Power Laptop - Advice Needed ASAP!

Hi Everyone,

I recieved a Pavillon Power Laptop (Product number X7N38AV) with the following specs on 4/21/2017:
16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
Intel® 802.11ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo
Office Software Trial
17.3" diagonal FHD IPS UWVA WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080) Touchscreen
Windows 10 Home 64
HP Wide Vision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone (Natural Silver) (for Touch)
6-cell 62 WHr Lithium-ion Battery
SuperMulti DVD burner
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
1TB 7200 rpm SATA

Product number: X7N62AV_1

I've included all the specs as there is no direct model number to refer to with this custom build. This build does have a touchscreen.

The issue is the screen will randomly flicker and/or jump at random times during usage. Unfortunately, this began right out of the box upon first usage (as early as when I entered my name to register the product) before it ever openned to the desktop and before I installed a single program or transferred any of my data to it. It happens most often while typing (and yes, even as I create this post) but can happen while nothing is open as well. I was actually reluctant to tranfer any of my data to it because of this issue, but I did because on the second day of usage, (4/22) the flickering/jumping stopped. Until 2 days ago, it began again when the computer was just on sitting idle.

I have done some reaserch on this on my own, which suggested a solution would be to uninstall/reinstall graphics card drivers via the Device Manager. I did this last night and that appeared to have worked until today when the issue occurred again. I have also been told to preform a full recovery, but I'm not bothering with that simply because the issue first occurred while at factory settings (on a fresh new machine) so that would not make logical sense as a solution. I have called technical support about this issue tonight, and after going through other troubleshooting steps (connecting to an external display) they are suggesting that it's a faulty screen or graphics card.

They told me to return the laptop to HP Direct and then order a new one. I will do that if absolutely necessary. However, I'm reaching out to this forum first in case there are any other graphics card or display issues that can be troubleshooted through Windows before returning the computer. If you're wondering why I would do that while I'm still within HP's return window, it's because if this is in fact a machanical hardware defect, it will be the second laptop I recieved defective recently! The first one had a faulty charging port that would not seccure the charging cord tightly enough to allow proper charging. I would like to avoid returning at all costs, because shipping back is not easy for me due to my own physical limitations. Not to mention, I returned the first detective machine not too long ago. I have a hard time believing that I would recieve two defective machines in a row too.

So, are there anymore possible Windows software solution steps that could be taken for this issue? As the subject line says, I would need answers here as soon as possible, because if returning is the only option it has to be done before 30 days are up.

Thanks in advnce for any input or help!

3 REPLIES 3
Level 15
Level 15
18,025 17,970 1,681 3,954
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Random Screen Display Flickering/Jumping on Brand New Pavilion Power Laptop - Advice Needed ASAP!

@JF1383

Sorry, but that problem indicates a video hardware issue -- and there is nothing we can do from here to address that.

I also ran into the same think with an EliteBook recently, and the only thing to do is return it for a replacement.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
JF1383
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your response. It looks like returning will be what I'll be doing then. I'm still curious to see if this was resolved any other way for anyone else though. Not because I'm questioning your experience, but because I've read that it can be caused by a driver update that Windows 10 installs, but is actually incompatible with the graphics card. If that's possibly the case, many new computers are probably being returned when there should be a fix/prevention to avoid the update.

Does the EliteBook have the same graphics card as the one I mentioned in my specs of the Pavilion? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
18,025 17,970 1,681 3,954
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JF1383

I would not think this is a Windows Update drive issue, as you said the problem occurred right "out of the box" -- and this would have been BEFORE Windows applied any new driver updates.

It would already have come with the correct drivers preloaded at the factory, so that indicates a hardware failure, not driver.

As I said, I had a similar thing happen and now, I'm waiting on my replacement to arrive.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation