Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-cp0598sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My laptop recently received a BIOS update and since then the screen has been flickering intermittently (looking like it's having a seizure that lasts about 15 seconds each time). The flickering has been triggered when I've opened a new program (e.g. Chrome), opened a new document in Word, woken up the screen when it's gone black, or restarted from sleep mode.

I've plugged the laptop into a TV monitor via a HDMI cable and the flickering does not show up on the TV screen when the laptop screen is flickering. I've attempted a hard reset (by shutting down the laptop and pressing the power button for 15 seconds when its off) although I'm not sure if it did anything. Reading responses to other comments on the forum, I've gone into the BIOS on startup to see if the screen would flicker when I was in there - no flickering. 

I haven't dropped or damaged the machine. The BIOS update is the only real change I've noticed. The only other software I've installed recently is the video and photo editing software PowerDirector and PhotoDirector, which I've just uninstalled and the flickering persists. I've got up-to-date Norton antivirus and I've just run a full system scan with no threats detected.

If you've got any suggestions for what might be causing the problem, and what I could try and do to fix it, I'd be very grateful for your help!

Thanks,

Tom

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@hart4d

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team as this could be a hardware issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help @Betty0610 . I'll contact the support team as you suggest.

Cheers, Tom

HP Recommended

Sure and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.