Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dotscreen Tutor
Tutor
6 4 0 3
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Screen flickering on battery Spectre x360 13 (Kaby Lake)

Spectre x360 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, I have a problem with the screen on my spectre x360 13, Kaby Lake.

When the pc is on battery power, the screen flickers slightly (most noticeable on a grey background).

I updated the BIOS and the intel hd graphics driver today, but nothing changed. I previously disabled both the windows 10 adaptive brightness setting and the intel 'display power saving technology' setting, but no luck there either.

I'd be grateful if anyone might be able to help. Thanks a lot

9 REPLIES 9
Retired
Retired
18,208 17,730 1,287 1,948
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @dotscreen, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand screen on your laptop is flickering when running on battery.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Does the issue persist in all the screens or while playing a game?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Uninstall the graphics drivers from device manager and install the latest drivers from HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Turn off the computer.
Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
If your notebook is listed in the table, use the instructions specific to your computer. For all other notebooks, press and hold the Power button for 8-10 seconds.
Plug the AC adapter back into the computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.
Proceed to Step 2: Run Windows Update

Refer this article to further troubleshoot display issues with your PC.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
dotscreen Tutor
Tutor
6 4 0 3
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mr Robot,

Thanks a lot for getting back and for your suggestions.

First, in answer to your questions:

- I don't think I made any recent software/hardware changes before the issue arose.

- I think the issue occurs in all screens when running on battery power. Sometimes the flickering doesn't occur (though most of the time it's there), but that doesn't seem to be connected to the software I'm using.  I don't play any games so I'm not sure about that.

- The product name, as listed in the HP support assistant, appears to be HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-w0XX.

Before getting started with your suggestions I also just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

- Sorry if this is obvious, but if I uninstall the graphics drivers, will I still be able to see the screen ok in order to reinstall them?

- In the instructions for the second suggestion, you say 'If your notebook is listed in the table' - could you send me a link to this table?

Thanks again, best

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
18,208 17,730 1,287 1,948
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @dotscreen,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that you facing the flickering screen issue.

To answer the question:

After uninstalling the graphics you should be able to see the screen using the windows basic drivers.

Click here and check  "Image on screen flickers, has line and distorted colors"

If it is the same issue,  I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

If your product is Out of warranty then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
dotscreen Tutor
Tutor
6 4 0 3
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot,

Thanks for your help. After reinstalling the graphics drivers, the problem is still there, and it does indeed look like the first picture (flickering screen) in the link you sent, so I will contact hp support.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
20,528 20,142 1,683 2,759
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@dotscreen

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

That's a wise choice, I am glad we could contribute towards identifying the issue,

And I'm sure you've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Mazi1 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there! I have exactly the same model and have run into the same issue. I was wondering if you were able to resolve it. I appreciate your response.

0 Kudos
SimonSea Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a flickering screen but wilder than the demo on the support page it is fast and transverse rather than on/off. 

Gone to support and will see what happens, this is not related to battery state, charing or not or processor usage.

It also doesn't do it on the attached monitor through the thunderbolt connection.

Wait and see.

0 Kudos
niekvs Tutor
Tutor
3 3 0 4
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a Kaby Lake Spectre x360, and after updating the Intel 620 graphics driver, I had the same issue: a fairly faint, slight but noticable flickering that's difficult to unsee once you've seen it. It doesn't start immediately after starting the machine, but maybe after an hour or so of using it, and it's especially noticable on a dark gray background. 

However, I think I've managed to solve it.

1. Update your graphics driver just in case. You can do this by taking these steps:

Right click Windows 10 start button -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters (go a level deeper) -> Right-click Intel (R) HD Graphics 620 -> Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver. I now have version 22.20.16.4815

This updating actually didn't help for me (in fact, after this I actually first noticed the issue in the first place), but it's probably good to be up-to-date, especially if you already have this issue anyway.

Now for the real fix:

2. Right-click on your desktop and choose Intel Graphics Settings

3. Choose Power

4. Disable Panel Self Refresh, both for "On Battery" and for "Plugged in"

5. Hit Apply

6. You can now close this settings screen.

This should solve the issue you're having. Let me know if it helped! By the way, this is more of a general issue with Panel Self Refresh than an HP specific issue: if you look around with Google, you'll find many people are having flickering issues due to this Panel Self Refresh, which is just a power saving feature that's not really required. It happens on Lenovo too, and even on different operating systems like Linux. 

- Niek

sami_tamim Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much. I did the opposite-I enabled panel self refresh on battery and while plugged in and the flickering all went away! Thanks again!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation