Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonofthefunk Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Screen flickers when moving lid. If it's off for more then 3 seconds, it goes into sleep

HP ac-121dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A week ago, my screen started flicking to a black screen. It was every now and then so I didn't think to much of it. However, lately it's been more frequent. What made me want to act now is that if the screen is flickered off for 3 seconds, it'll go into sleep mode as if I closed the lid. I can turn it back on my rubbing the touchpad to wake it up, but the screen won't turn on. It will turn on however if I close the lid and reopen it as if I'm waking it up that way. The flickering seems to occur if I move the lid foward and back, or if I accidently apply pressure to the area surrounding the trackpad but below the keyboard.

I tried looking up reasons as to what this is and signs point towards a failing LCD cable. However, the fact that it turns off if it flickers off for long enough concerns me. Any idea what the problem might be if it isn't an LCD cable? And if it is an LCD cable issue, what would be the name of the part for an HP ac-121dx?

8 REPLIES 8
Jonofthefunk Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Screen flickers when moving lid. If it's off for more then 3 seconds, it goes into sleep

As an addendum to the previous post, I'd like to add that sometimes, when I close the lid in order to turn the screen back on, the computer runs when the lid is closed. I noticed this as it happened to me while I was watching videos.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
15,913 15,515 880 994
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jonofthefunk

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Notebook - 15-ac121dx. I understand that your notebook screen flickers and it goes into sleep and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Change the screen resolution and refresh rate settings in Windows

• Right-click the desktop and click Display settings.
  • Under Customize your display, at the bottom, click Advanced display settings.
  • Under Related settings, click Display adapter properties.
  • Select the Monitor tab.
  • Under Screen refresh rate, select another refresh rate if available.
  • Click OK to save the changes.

Update the HP video driver, click here and type the notebook model number to download the driver.

Use the following steps to change power button and lid settings:

• At the Start screen, type power options to open the Search charm. Select Power Options in the Search results.
  • In the left pane, click Choose what the power buttons do or Choose what closing the lid does.
  • To change settings for the power button, click the arrow next to When I press the power button, select the setting you wish to use, and then click Save changes.
  • To change the lid closure setting, click When I close the lid, select the setting you wish to use, and then click Save changes.

To learn more about the power options: Click here

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Jonofthefunk Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As an update, something major happened. I discovered that disabling sleep mode on the laptop for both plugged and unplugged was working. it would still go black every now and then, but it wouldn't go into sleep mode. However, something horrible happened when I decided to go to bed that night. When I shut down the laptop, the next morning it will not turn on, at all. I would assume that it's pretty much dead for good, but I wanna ask if there's anything I can do about it.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16,861 16,714 1,112 1,763
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Jonofthefunk

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2oFlOWC

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Jonofthefunk Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I attempted the instructions, but it still doesn't turn on. if it helps at all with figuring out the issue, whenever the AC is plugged in there's still that white charging light. So, something in it still works i guess

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19,934 19,567 1,639 2,709
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jonofthefunk

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

Go to the HP Guided Troubleshooting Solution to resolve problems when your computer won't turn on because it has no power, or it turns on but does not boot into Windows.

The troubleshooter includes possible solutions for the following issues:

• Nothing happens when you press the power button.

• Computer lights turn on, but the monitor remains blank.

• Computer stops at the HP or Compaq logo screen.

• Computer shows a black screen or a blue screen with an error message.

• An error message displays after Windows loads.

If the issue persists, this would confirm a hardware malfunction and you'll need to Contact HP to set up a hardware repair service:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Jonofthefunk Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

as another addendum, i tried a method where you open up the computer and then take out and place back in the ram chips. still didn't work. is it safe to say it's dead?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19,934 19,567 1,639 2,709
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jonofthefunk

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Yes, it's safe to acknowledge the fact that it can only be revived at the HP repair center,

I request you to follow the instructions mentioned in my previous post and Contact HP to set up a repair order.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation