Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Screen turns black while everything still runs in background

hp G72 - 866US notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My laptop from time to time will just shut down the screen to a black screen, I can still hear things running in the background, example a game will be playing but nothing on screen. I have to push the button to shut the whole computer down and restart, could it be the screen going, or is there a fix for this, Thank you so much,

9 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1896
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @rparks315,

Welcome to the HP Forum! 

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. You stated you have the  G72 - 866US , did you mean the  G72 - B66US?  HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I understand that while playing games your screen will go blank or black but the processes are still running in the background. To regain access, you must restart the notebook.

Have you done all your Windows updates? Have you run the HP Support Assistant?  If you connect an external monitor, do you have the same issue? Here are links I think may help: HP Notebook PCs - Computer Locks Up or Freezes When Playing a Game,   HP Notebook PCs - Green Screen and Other Video Playback Issues (Windows 8, 7) and HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Notebook LCD Panel Issue (Windows 8/8.1, 7).

Please let me know the outcome. 

Thanks for participating in the HP Forums where we want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as "Accept as Solution" to help other community members! To show appreciation for my efforts kindly click the "Thumbs Up" below.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
33 1 3
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, I've got the same problem. But it also happens, when I'm not playing a game.

I have a 850 G3, with Intel HD 520.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1896
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @turnitoffandon,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. What operating system are your running?

I grasp that your display will go blank or black, but everything is still running in the background. To regain access, you must restart the notebook.

Have you done all your Windows updates? Have you run the HP Support Assistant If you connect an external monitor, do you have the same issue? Here are links I think may help: HP Notebook PCs - Computer Locks Up or Freezes When Playing a Game,   HP Notebook PCs - Green Screen and Other Video Playback Issues (Windows 8, 7) and HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Notebook LCD Panel Issue (Windows 8/8.1, 7).

Thanks for participating in the HP Forums where we want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as "Accept as Solution" to help other community members! To show appreciation for my efforts kindly click the "Thumbs Up" below.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
33 1 3
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have Win10 64-Bit. I've installed the newest Intel driver.

The display goes black for 1 oder 2 secounds and afterwards I can keep working.

I only have the problem, when the laptop is in the docking station and the display is connect with HDMI or Displayport. A VGA display works fine.

I'm working in an IT company, we are HP Gold Partner, and we have 20 laptops with the same problem! Up to now the telefon support was not very helpfull....

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1896
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @turnitoffandon,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details. If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works  please review this link.  First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
33 1 3
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey,

thanks very much. Hopefully that works better than the telephone support.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1896
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @turnitoffandon.

Thank you!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
33 1 3
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Up to now, no one has contacted me...

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
33 1 3
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've still got no message.

This is even worse than the telephone support...

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation