Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This seems like a dumb question, but here goes: 

When my Elitebook x360 is in tablet mode, how do I wake up the screen when it turns off due to the power management plan?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

On my Spectre X360 if I touch the screen it wakes up.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

That makes sense, but doesn't seem to work on my machine. Do you know if this needs to be configured somewhere in Windows 10?

HP Recommended

I am still struggling with this problem (HP Support was not able to solve it). Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Strange issue. I assume you have volume button and power button on side of kbd? Have you tried briefly pressing one or both to see if that wakes the screen?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. Volume wakes the screen, which is an ok fix but not great if you want to keep the sound off.

The power button puts the machine into sleep mode. 

One thing I have been trying to confirm is whether the behaviour of my machine is normal or not. Could the lack of response when the screen is off just be a bad design feature?

HP Recommended

Testing mine now in tablet mode on battery power alone. I'll be back in few minutes.

HP Recommended

I tested the loaner I am using- Spectre X360- on battery power only. The screen wakes up if I touch it or if I press volume down button.  In power options- change advanced options -there is a setting for the power button. It can be configured to Sleep,Do Nothing,Hibernate and Turn off display. I set it to Turn off Display and tested it. That also works to turn screen on.

HP Recommended

Some additional thoughts on this. The Elitebook may have tighter security than the Spectre which requires more than touching screen. For instance on my Galaxy Tab S2- the Home button has to be pressed to turn screen on after it times out.

Also have you checked power options to see if the setting has your Elitebook actually entering Sleep mode? I think mine was initially set at 5 minutes on battery and I changed it to 30.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick testing and suggestions!

The power button suggestion is a good idea. This would allow it to emulate the Windows button on the screen of my previous hybrid (a Vaio Duo), whose screen was also insensitive to touch when turned off.

Regarding the power options - I have confirmed that the screen is powered off and not in sleep mode.  Ideally I'd like the power settings to turn off the screen after 5 minutes (or less) and go into sleep mode after 15 minutes.

I hadn't thought about the security features on the Elitebook and their possible implication. Maybe I can raise this with HP support.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.