Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Second HP Omen 17 with Screen Flicker + Color Bleed on edge

HP Omen 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is my second HP Omen, the first one I purchased was returned within two weeks for the exact same issue. My laptops screen is flickering in a strobe light fashion and this is the exact same issue I fully returned the last laptop for. A reboot does not seem to have any effect leaving me to heavily believe this is a hardware not a software related issue.

The screen will flicker and around the edges there are very distinct Red then Blue then Green color lines circling the outer edge. They are usually only clearly visible on dark backgrounds. 

After about 5-10 minutes the flickering will stop the color will fade and the laptop functions normally. Thankfully I caught the first one within the two week window to return it but I am JUST out of that window this time around so it looks like I'm out of luck for a simple solution.

To top it off the reason I bought this laptop was to replace my desktop PC as I'm moving to Japan less than a week from now so there's no more time for me to be running around to stores and I didn't want to haul a full desktop setup with me although now I'm not sure this expense was a good decision.

My phones camera syncs with the flickering so the video I have doesn't show much but the pictures I've taken of the color bleed are pretty clearly a problem. It was plenty that when I brought the first one in I got a replacement almost immediately after they saw them. Nothing that I've found yet will replicate the issue 100% other than time. Given enough time it will occur but no amount of resets or power saving mode or anything else will cause it to occur. 

2 REPLIES 2
MattSciar Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I forgot to add, the first laptop I uninstalled all of the HP bloatware and I left the BIOS version at its default. 

This laptop however I did the opposite, I left all the bloatware on the machine and I updated the BIOS to the latest version supplied on the HP Omen 17 downloads page on the HP website.

The only other thing I've updated thus far is the sound drivers as I'm also having an issue where using VOIP software my voice goes very robotic and the software has to be reset. This exact issue has also occurred on both laptops using a microphone that does not have this issue on any other device.  

0 Kudos
MattSciar Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation