Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Severe color banding on new HP Pavilion x360

Pavilion x360 m3 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got a new HP Pavilion x360 with touchcreen, Intel i3 6GB Ram. It all seemed normal, until I got to realize that it has a terrible color banding issue. The video card is an Intel(R) HD Graphics 520. I started looking into the video card settings and the monitor, looking for faulty drivers or something to show me a problem, but nothing comes up.

It tells it's working on True Colors (32-bit), and I compared it to my other old laptop and settings look alike (despite the OS difference -W7 and W10).

I work in graphic design, so to me is specially awful to have this 1996-monitor problem in a 2016 laptop. 

Here's an example, a screenshot of a simple gradient created with a photo editor program:

Capture1.PNG

In photos, it looks less terrible. However, it still looks as if the pictures were very low resolution.

Any ideas on what I can do, or did this happen to anyone? I'm really disappointed and suprised to see such a problem in a new computer. I have and work with computers since 1998 and I never seen such a thing, never ever.

This is my 3rd HP already and I was never to expect such a problem.

For the rest the computer is really good, in spite of Windows 10.

Thanks.

32 REPLIES 32
Retired
Retired
3798 3736 201 433
Message 2 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @GiselaG,

I hope you enjoy your visit to the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the quality of the display. I will be glad to help you.

I can not find any issue like this. 

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! :)

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
mikeangelo Tutor
Tutor
16 16 0 1
Message 3 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, having exactly the same problem here.

any solutions?

Mike

0 Kudos
GiselaG Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 4 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mike,

No, unfortunately I had no solution to this. I just "got used to" having a 8-bit 1998 monitor in a 2017 computer...

Awful from HP, really awful.

Best regards. 

0 Kudos
mikeangelo Tutor
Tutor
16 16 0 1
Message 5 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, 

yes, I got used to it as well..

I was trying to get some help through hp support, where a tech guy tried to fix my computer remotely, 

and I heard that 'there is no problem and I should just switch to higher resolution when I watch movies on Youtube'

lol. I gave up.

Anyways, what can we do..

best

Mike

0 Kudos
GiselaG Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 6 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's shaming for HP to sell laptops with these faulty screens, but even more so, that they have such inept staff to give "support".

I learned to love anyway my little "handicapped" notebook. Other than the screen, the rest is respectably ok for the price I paid.

Best of luck!  

0 Kudos
mikeangelo Tutor
Tutor
16 16 0 1
Message 7 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Very true.

Yes, I do love it as well, cause other than that it actually works really well.

best!

Dean
Dean
11043 11018 574 1616
Message 8 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do not see any "colour-banding" in the image that you posted.

My display settings:

Capture.JPG

are set to use the "optimal" settings on my "vintage" Acer 17-inch monitor (connected to my desktop).

Are you using 16-bit or 24-bit or 32-bit colours?

0 Kudos
GiselaG Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestion.

You don't see the banding because the composition of the image is correct (video card renders OK), but I see it in my computer. Which points to a problem with the monitor itself.

I tried all those changes of settings (anyway for an external monitor you have a lot more configurations possible, not for a built-in monitor) and it's by default on Windows 10 the 32-bit mode (you cannot choose or change it). 

It all points to a crappy monitor. A hardware problem. I also looked into the BIOS, no chance to change anything there.

Some Lenovo notebooks had this problems too, with no serious answer from Lenovo. Only some sellers accepted to change the machine for another one.

0 Kudos
mikeangelo Tutor
Tutor
16 16 0 1
Message 10 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

look at this. And it's everywhere , youtube, photos. etc.Untitled-2.jpgUntitled-1.jpg

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation