Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Spectre Folio 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

My daughter's Spectre Folio pen only seems to work on the very bottom of the screen.  In an app like OneNote you can sometimes draw a line in the center of screen but that is about it.  Noticed that touch functionality is not working properly either.  Tried running calibration utility but it will not recognize touch to where you are supposed to click.

It is not the Pen. I have an identical unit and the pen works on that device, also tried swapping pens.  Both units are running most current Win 10 with all HP and Windows updates applied.

I am thinking the digitizer has gone bad but appreciate any other input.  Hate to have the thing tied up waiting on repair when she has to be back to school in about a week.  I do have HP extended warranty.

Thanks,

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Amphicar Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with touchscreen.

Just to clarify, did you check if the issue persists in BIOS? if not I recommend checking if the Touch is working on BIOS screen (Accessed by tapping on F10 while restarting the computer) or if you have issues with the keyboard or unable to reach the BIOS: 

I recommend running a hardware test on the touchscreen to be sure since it isn't working in the BIOS, please use the below steps to perform the test: 

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer. 

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key. 

On the main menu, click Component Tests. 

The Component Tests menu displays. 

Touch Screen Test - Quick interactive test to determine if the touch screen is functioning correctly. (This test is currently not available in the Windows version of the hardware diagnostics.) 
To run the test, click Touch Screen, and then click Run once. 

If the test fail, please capture the 24 character failure ID and revert with the details.  

If it works on bios and the above tests pass, try checking if it works in safe mode

Also, reinstall the display drivers, install the latest updates for the display adapters and BIOS,  

if the issue persists,  you could reinstall the windows using the recovery partition or the recovery media to fix the issue. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the guidance.

Touchscreen does not respond in the Bios screen. 

I ran the diagnostic as you suggested.  As shown in following screen capture, I can touch the bottom section of the screen and a row in the middle.  105 of 165 blocks remain non-responsive.  It does not generate an error code as, even though I kept tapping till the very end of test, it shows as test cancelled.

IMG_20200806_230632.png

HP Recommended

@Amphicar

Thank you for the update.

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Or you can contact the local service center for repair.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the same problem with my Spectre Folio, the problem has worsened over time. At first I didn't get a response when I touched the top of the display, but now the problem has become widespread.  In bios the answer is about the same as in the picture above. 

Is this a hardware issue?

Amphicar, did you solve the problem?

Thank you,

HP Recommended

@Justin2605

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824
  • Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

ECHO_LAKE, thank you for involvement.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

I don't remember it being like that.

At first it happens randomly and only at the top of the screen, but now, the top of the screen it is completely locked, and at rest the answer is chaotic.

• Have you made any hardware/software changes?

I think the answer is no. I only use an external mouse, and I use the laptop for browsing and media. 

4TL68UA#ABA

• Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC prior to the issue?

I don't remember anything special. I tried a recalibration, then I uninstalled the driver and then the bios test.

• When was the last time it worked fine?

Early May.

HP Recommended

Mine is now at HP repair center awaiting replacement digitizer.  Part is on backorder.  😞

HP Recommended

@Justin2605

Thank you for the information.

Just to clarify, did you check if the issue persists in BIOS? if not I recommend checking if the Touch is working on BIOS screen (Accessed by tapping on F10 while restarting the computer) or if you have issues with the keyboard or unable to reach the BIOS: 

I recommend running a hardware test on the touchscreen to be sure since it isn't working in the BIOS, please use the below steps to perform the test: 

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer. 

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key. 

On the main menu, click Component Tests. 

The Component Tests menu displays. 

Touch Screen Test - Quick interactive test to determine if the touch screen is functioning correctly. (This test is currently not available in the Windows version of the hardware diagnostics.) 
To run the test, click Touch Screen, and then click Run once. 

If the test fail, please capture the 24 character failure ID and revert with the details.  

If it works on bios and the above tests pass, try checking if it works in safe mode

Also, reinstall the display drivers, install the latest updates for the display adapters and BIOS,  

if the issue persists,  you could reinstall the windows using the recovery partition or the recovery media to fix the issue. 

Have a  nice day!!

HP Recommended

In the bios both touch-related tests failed, and at the end of time the window simply closed and I returned to the main menu.

I took a picture of the result.

Some boxes required a single tap, others two or even three.

The top two lines remain blocked.

To enter safemode, I need a code that I can't find. I'll try again.

I reinstalled the video drivers, including the bios.

The last step would be to reinstall windows...?

Thank you!

118780232_776373516521631_7129104360276857407_n.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.