Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-ac000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Edit:

13/10/2017

After a couple of referrals from one HP staff member to another, and several emails of me trying to explain my problem and how it can't be solved by driver updates or system recovery, he finally understood what I need and he "escalated the case requesting for a new firmware release" to the team in charge of this. He also requested I installed some software to compile a report, and record a video of the issue. I recorded 2 videos (random input), 1 in Windows, and the other in the BIOS boot manager:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBLrzjYD1yQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM73PWLP2M8

3/11/2017

I recieved this email:

"Warm greetings.

We are still awaiting an update from the concerned team for a suitable driver for the issue.

Apologies for the delay.

I will contact you as soon as I get an update."

Hi

To try to solve the pen/touch delay problem (described here), I installed the (HP F-HD Touchscreen Controller Firmware Update) from this page. This isn't my model, but I thought it would either be compatible or refuse to install. However, it isn't compatible but it still installed wrecking my touchscreen! :Crying:

Now, the touchscreen is erratic registering about 5 random inputs a second. The only way I managed to able to use my computer after the doomed firmware update is through the previously installed TeamViewer. I logged in from another device, disabled user input, then disabled the touchscreen from the device manager. So, I can use my computer as long as I keep the touchscreen disabled. The touchscreen behaves the same way even in the BIOS (when I press F2) registering constant random inputs.

I spent hours trying to fix this problem and find a firmware for my computer with no luck.

I found similar posts by other people, and they managed to fix the problem by downloading the firmware from the  (Spectre x360 13-4100) page, but it isn't compatible with the 13-ac000 series, and it refuses to install.

It's really frustrating how the firmware update doesn't have a fail safe to stop it from being installed on incompatible devices, how the installer doesn't have the option to create a rollback backup file (like BIOS updaters), and how a single 1mb file (original firmware) can solve this whole ordeal for me.... for some reason, HP can't be bothered to upload this file on the support page along with the other drivers.

I bought my computer abroad and sending it to HP service isn't an option where I am... :Crying: Please HP, upload the firmware for the Spectre 13-ac000 series!

I've also tried the (Spectre  x360 15-ap00), but it refused to install.

Any suggestions on  how I could fix this problem??

Note:

Please, no need to suggest doing a windows restore and/or the HP recovery, and/or update the BIOS as none of these solutions help.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended
Hello, Anderson-T!

I have the same problems. Do you find touchscreen firmware for Spectre x360 13-ac000
HP Recommended

unfortunately, I still haven't found a solution.

All technical support know/able to do is to go over the troubleshooters, do Windows restore, do HP recovery, and update drivers. You ask them anything else, and they have no idea. The technical support here on the forum asked me to contact the technical support directly, and the technical support asked me to send my computer to HP service.

Talking with support staff is frustrating. You tell them what the problem exactly is and what you need (the firmware) and they still want to run the troubleshooters and do the recovery stuff.

The only thing we can do now is to make as much noise as possible in hope that people at HP wake up and do something about the problem.

When I contacted the support, I told them I wanted to report some problems with the whole series (the 2 seconds delay after using the pen, and the computer not respecting the "ignore touch input when I'm using pen" setting). I said that this isn't a defective unit issue, and HP has already released a firmware update for the 15-bl00 model to solve the delay problem.

It took me a long time to make the guy on the other line understand what I'm talking about and that I don't need to go over the stupid troubleshooters. I tried to get some info from him on how I can report these issues to HP, but he refused to help me. He said he would report these issues himeself, but judging by his knowledge level and the attention he was giving me during our interaction, I don't believe him at all! I don't believe he's going to left a finger to do something about it.

I think HP released an update to the 15-bl00 model because someone made some noise about it, so we should do the same thing. An update would solve our problem. So, you should contact HP support and try to complain and tell them you want to report issues related to the whole series, not just your unit (mentioned earlier). Hopefully, we'll get our update soon

HP Recommended

Hi, I am unfortunately in the exact same situation as both of you and as many other people accorting to other posts  . :Crying:

My touchscreen and pen control, so my laptop, are completely unusable...

I've done a recovery factory rester and this has solved nothing.:smileysad:

As you said, the only thing to do would be to install the original touchscreen firmware (or an update) but it isn't available in the HP site... (why ?)

I really hope that someone in the HP support staff will read this post and will do something to simply provide us at least the original firmware to fix this.

HP Recommended

try to contact technical support to complain. Tell them it isn't a defective unit problems (2 seconds touch delay, and the screen not respecting the ignore touch while using pen setting). Hopefully, this would push HP to release an update for the firmware.

Is your screen registering constant random input? If so, you should disable your touchscreen from the device manager. This way, you can at least use your laptop. I disabled mine using TeamViewer, which was previously installed. I think you can disable the touchscreen input with a trick:

Press the pen on the screen. This should disable the constant random input. Keeping the pen pressed, go to the device manager and disable the touchscreen under "Human Interface Devices" using the touchpad.

I don't have access to my Spectre x360 now to confirm this trick, but I think it'd work

HP Recommended
Thank you, Anderson-T!!!

Sorry for delay answer, I have hade vacation :)). I can confirmed your recommendation to disable the constant random input, so notebook is working now but without touchscreen...
HP Recommended

Yes Anderson, I've already disable the "Human Interface Devices" in the devices manager.
Thank you for trying to helping me. But I have bought this laptop mainly for its tactile/stylus function and the fact that it no longer works is really frustrating...

I'me talking with the support but, as expected, they ask me ,for the moment, to do some diagnostics instead of give me the good firmware...

I don't want to start to work on this laptop if I resign myself to send it to the custumers services which will certainly erase all my files... For the time being, I'm keeping hoping that HP will realish an uptaded firmware or simply provide us the original firmware.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Have you had any advancements with the tech support? Looks like i'm in the same case...

Thinking about returning the laptop right now

Thanks

HP Recommended

No, there's still nothing. I've been chasing my tale for a over a month now and there's still nothing. The firmware update for the 15" model was released 5 months ago, but the 13" model still has nothing.

You'd think that such a "premium" and flagship device would get better customer service, but no.... my 2000 USD device is lying there almost useless because of a missing 1mb file.... that's just sad.

If I could return it, I would

HP Recommended

No advancement at all. It's starting to be laborious...

Nobody in HP support inform us about the developpement of an update and can tell us clearly why they don't provide us the original firmware...

Only one user (kolxxx) seems to be inform by HP about a developpement of an update (by private message ?). No clearly details about that on the forum by the support, and my local support is unable to give me any information about it...

It's like talking to a brick wall, the support staff react only to 1 message on 10, miss the point completely and don't answer to the questions.

For a device at that price there is just deplorable !

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.