Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-AE013DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone.  I have seen several discussion threads about this topic and none of them have helped solve my issue.  So here goes...

I just bought a use HP Spectre X360 13-ae013dx from a private party.  I went through the HP system reset according to this article HP Notebook PCs - Using System Recovery, Factory Reset and Minimized Image Recovery Options | HP® Cu... and everything went great.

I have performed windows update as well as installed the HP support assistant to get all of the latest patches and drivers for the laptop.  

Now the issue:  I cannot get the laptop to detect an external monitor via either of the two USB-C ports using USB-C to HDMI hubs or a usb-c to hdmi cable.

I have tried 2 different usb-c hubs with HDMI as well as the usb-c to hdmi cable directly without any success.  These hubs do work with other laptops.  I have also tried 4 different monitors without success.  I even took it to Best Buy and they tried as well. 

If I plug in other devices such as usb mouse and keyboard to the usb-c hub it all works fine on the laptop.. Just not any video.

I'm baffled.

Some specs of the laptop

Product number:  2LU96UA

[personal information removed]

Windows OS:  Windows 10 Version 1909 Build 18363.1411 (x64)

I'm up to try anything at this point so please fire away.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@BTS20

Welcome to HP Support Community

I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

Please try running the Intel Driver & Support Assistant https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/support/detect.html

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok.. Ran the Intel support assistant and installed the native intel video drivers for the laptop.  Reboot and still no luck.  I contacted HP Sales last week and asked what HP dock is supported for this laptop and was told the G2 Dock 2uk37ut.  So i purchased one and now I'm trying to get it to work.  I plug it in and it is charging the laptop but the actual TB dock isn't detected by the Thurderbolt software.  Why is this so hard?   I have downloaded and ran the HP diagnostics which come back with no issues found.  What do I need to do next?  

BTS20_0-1614371644054.pngBTS20_1-1614371663144.png

BTS20_2-1614371687377.png

HP Recommended

I have now fully reset the laptop back to factory.  I'm now on windows 10 x64 v2004 19041.1.  When I open the thunderbolt software I get an error "This Thunderbolt application is not in use anymore and can be safely uninstalled".

BTS20_0-1614450321065.png

Under Device manager (showing hidden devices) there is no thunderbolt devices listed within System

BTS20_1-1614450409578.png

I have updated Bios, chipset, graphics cards, etc.  

@HP Support I need definitive guidance:

1. Does HP have compatible drivers for the Intel Thunderbolt controller 1577 in my 13-ae013dx on Windows 1904+?

2. How do I get my Thunderbolt working so that I can use the Thunderbolt G2 dock I just bought!  

I have now spent at least 15 hours and hundreds of dollars working on this issue and it's either a driver incompatibility or a hardware problem.  Please advise.

HP Recommended

Thanks for keeping us posted

At this  point I suggest you contact HP Support in your region for further assistance

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.