Did you mean: 
Toastedbread
Level 3
18 13 0 15
Message 21 of 49
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 13-inch touch delay after using any n-trig stylus

The same problem exists with the 15 inch and it was solved with a firmware update. The delay exists on both models I received as well as every store display model I have tested. It is definitely a deliberate feature based on the HP touchscreen faq. I don't believe for a second when support tells us it is a rare issue. It took me a while to notice because at first I attributed the delay to OneNote lag.
evns
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 22 of 49
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got this advice from HP support on Twitter. They told me to update the BIOS. Has anyone tried this? https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-spectre-13-4000-x360-convertible-pc/75...

0 Kudos
Toastedbread
Level 3
18 13 0 15
Message 23 of 49
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pretty sure I did that with the last model. I can try again with this one but I am very doubtful that it will make a difference.
0 Kudos
evns
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 24 of 49
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here's what the message said:

Thanks for tweeting,

I'd be glad to help you, I request you to please follow steps given below and let me know the results.

Restore BIOS:

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Hold down the Windows and B button together while the computer is still turned off. 
3) Turn on the computer and continue to hold the Windows and B button until a BIOS Recovery screen appears. 
4) Follow on-screen instructions and click on OK 

BIOS update :

Download and update the BIOS on your laptop https://t.co/8RnPrHdFwe.

0 Kudos
fish22
Level 1
9 8 0 1
Message 25 of 49
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i've already updated my BIOS, same problem... i don't think the bios update solves this problem. if you look in into the documentation for the BIOS update it does not say anything about fixing the touch delay issue. it only says: - Provides support for Microsoft Windows 10 v1703.

0 Kudos
simpleatsh
Level 2
10 9 1 1
Message 26 of 49
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was the person who reported the touch delay issue on the 15inch. After the firmware update, I was really happy with my spectre. Now, I need to purchase 20+ 13inch laptops for my office, our workflow involves pen input extensively and I am seriously considering the 13inch Spectre x360. But, the touch delay issue is a deal breaker for us, we tested few 13 inch spectres, and almost all of colleagues and clients who participated in the test were annoyed by the delay issue. 

Please release a firmware update like you did with the 15inch, or at least provide a statement that a firmware update will be released and provide an ETA.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,288 1,961
Message 27 of 49
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @simpleatsh,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).
Response times may vary by region.
Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
simpleatsh
Level 2
10 9 1 1
Message 28 of 49
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot, great nickname btw.

Thank you sooo much for the quick responce. I guess I will be contacted soon again by HP China support team, hihii... I was very happy with their support last time for the 15inch Spectre X360, but since the product was primarily developed in the US, they had to bounce the problem back to the US support team. I am wondering if it's possible to escalate this issue to the US team directly, to save some time!

But, here's the real problem, seems like this "1.5sec touch delay after pen use" is universally implemented in all current-gen HP product using NTrig (or Elan) digitizers. Today, the 4 Envy X360 convertables I purchased arrived at my desk and I briefly tested one Spectre X2 tablet, both models presented the same touch delay problem. As a decade-long Tablet PC user who used countless HP pen enabled PCs, I have to say I was confused by the decision implementing such odd behavior, the 1.5 sec delay does NOT help plam rejection in any possible way, the palm rejection effectiveness is determined by the pen hover distance and how fast the digitizer can sense the pen, and helped by the touch digitizer firmware to ignore larger-than-fingertip touch contact. I seriously cannot see any benefit of a 1.5 second delay.

I assume most serious pen users would agree with my opinion here, so please please escalate this issue to the team who's in charge of the pen digitizer development, we appreciate their hard work, but this HAS TO BE FIXED.

Really appreciate your help and you too have a great day! :^)

Harry

0 Kudos
le_spectre
Level 1
8 8 0 2
Message 29 of 49
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I wanted to chime in and say that I too would be thrilled to have a shorter delay (or no delay at all) after pen input on my Spectre x360 (13-ac0XX), which I am otherwise very happy with.

I primarily use my Spectre in 'tablet mode' to do calculations in OneNote and tend to refer back to previous ones in the process. As you can imagine, scribbling stuff down with the pen and having to wait 1.5 seconds before being able to scroll back up with my finger to have a quick look at something gets frustrating pretty quickly, especially when I do so quite often. It is also annoying having to wait the 1.5 seconds after selecting something in order to move it with your finger, or using your finger to select different pens.

Anyway, just wanted to stop by and request that HP release a firmware update for the 13" Spectre x360 to fix this issue just like they did for the 15" version.

Thank you very much in advance!

0 Kudos
simpleatsh
Level 2
10 9 1 1
Message 30 of 49
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just wanna pass along the complains I got from my colleagues who participated the test pilot program, those are the people who actually use the product in real life scenarios, and hope this would help the HP R&D team making decisions on get rid of the delay.

We plan to give pen enabled devices primarily to 2 groups: designers and product managers in the R&D team, and our representatives in the sales team, and of course whoever prefers to use a pen. The designers use the pen to create artworks, they tend to draw then pan and zoom the canvas a lot, and the delay slows down their flow; Our product managers uses OneNote to take notes and create flow charts which also involves wrting and panning extensively. Last but not least is our sales team, I get most complains from them. They have to sit down with the client and fill up forms with 30+ fields using the pen constantly, once they finishes one field, they pan up the page moving on to the next, and they have to wait for about 2 secs every time.

Don't wanna pressure you guys, but this needs to be fixed. I really like the services we get from HP here in China, but if the delay issue is not fixed, we are seriously considering moving to Microsoft Surfaces.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation