cancel
AusKW Honor Student
Honor Student
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 13-inch touch delay after using any n-trig stylus

I purchased my laptop back in 25th May 2017. One of the major deciding factors for my laptop purchase was pen input. With such a large touch delay after pen input, the pen function becomes useless due to the frustrations experienced when trying to use it. The delay severely interrupts your work flow so much so that I just don't use the pen on this device. This is extremely disappointing considering this was one of my major purchasing decision criteria.

This touch delay has existed right from day one on my device. I feel I have been (just like others) extremely patient, constantly checking back at this forum for any update or solution. Additionally I have been constantly checking for any new updates in HP's included Support Assistant software which may resolve this issue. I usually don't like to rashly complain and post on forums (especially when the issue has already been raised by many others) but I feel HP has had more than sufficient time to address this matter.

This issue has been raised for almost 9 months now and still no solution or information / update regarding the status of this issue.

It took almost 2 months to even get a single response from a HP Support Agent on this forum. When a support agent did eventually respond, all they said was that the concerns have been escalated to the HP Support Team. 7 months later and still no official response or update from a HP representative.

Good customer service and experience is not hard to maintain even if there is an outstanding issue. All HP needs to do is:

1. Acknowledge the issue.

2. Update customers (in a timely matter) on the status with an estimated time for the resolution.

3. Keep customer's informed and updated if previous time period estimates pass to ensure customers don't feel like they are being ignored.

4. Present the solutions or conclusions regarding the matter.

Currently HP has only achieved step 1 above in 9 months!

With such silence on the matter, one can only presume the issue is caused by a hardware fault which HP does not want to admit to.

I can't help but constantly think I should have gone with Microsoft's Surface Book which I was considering. Granted no product is perfect but at least Microsoft seem to be supporting their customers much better.

With such disappointing (or sheer lack of) customer support and service, I will never by another HP product unless something is drastically changed and I'm not hesitant in warning family, friends and work colleagues off purchasing similar HP products.

I have also voiced these same frustrations in a customer feedback survey form for this forum that popped up.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,280 6,228 311 449
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @AusKW ,

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
2,816 2,762 170 498
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@AusKW

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
AusKW Honor Student
Honor Student
5 3 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK so I originally posted the above comments in the following forum’s discussion:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Spectre-x360-13-inch-touch-delay-afte...

But a HP moderator then moved it to here as a separate discussion. I don’t see any reasoning for moving my post other than as an attempt to hide the supportive evidence of the long running discussion where I originally posted my comments. Furthermore, in the above link, it appears that HP is trying to shut down the discussion (at least for me anyway) by removing the ability to post a reply.

It’s been 1 month since I originally posted my comments and still no solution / conclusion has been provided on the matter. In that time, I have had 4 HP support representatives all state that my concerns have been escalated with no further solutions provided. This is despite having sent them all my details and a description of the issue as requested. In addition, I specifically requested a more definative answer from HP which they have not done.

The responses that I have received back is what I like to call the perception of customer support. It looks like HP is providing support without actually giving any meaningful customer support to resolve the issue.

The touch delay after pen use is like buying a new car, only to find out that the accelerator doesn’t respond for 2 seconds whenever the car is attempting to accelerate from stand still.

I realise I have been quite critical in my comments in the hope that it will provoke HP into action but to date nothing meaningful has been done. I have given HP ample time to address the issue and change my perspective on the matter and company but sadly nothing has changed.

After such a long time period without any results, one can only conclude that the continual silence on the matter is HP’s admission that the hardware for pen function is defective and not fit for purpose.

It’s a shame because the laptop is otherwise a good computer.

0 Kudos
AusKW Honor Student
Honor Student
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The last communication that I had from HP was on the 28 Feb 2018 whereby I was informed that I should be contacted by HP in my region (Australia) within 4 business days. After waiting 2.5 weeks without receiving any contact from HP, I decided to return the laptop back to the store that I had purchased it from (JB Hi-Fi) where they sent it back to HP for repair.

The laptop was returned with the service report stating the Operating System was reloaded and BIOS updated (HP Case Number 5011771763). Unsurprisingly this has not fixed the issued considering a BIOS update has not resolved the issue for many others in HP's forums regarding the same issue.

After receiving it back, the touch delay after pen use is still clearly there as shown in this video I have posted to YouTube. This is despite all windows and hp updates being fully up to date just prior to recording the video.

https://youtu.be/nZ-ubKv2RVw

Clearly the hardware is not fit for purpurse and after giving HP every possible opportunity to resolve the issue, I'm now requesting HP for a Reimbursement Authorization Number to give to the store that I had purchased the laptop from.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
30 23 0 3
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, any news from this issue? Still no update available for the 13" while the 15" had an update; it's been more than one year now that I bought this laptop...

I also communicated with HP premium support and told me many times (in september 2017, nov 2017, feb 2018) that they will contact me when they have a fix... No contact back.

0 Kudos
AusKW Honor Student
Honor Student
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi remisharrock / All,

Sorry for not providing an update to the matter until now.

After receiving the hp laptop back with the issue still there and then posting the above video, I decided to call up hp support on the phone.

The call centre support took the time to understand the issue and also view the video that I posted. An onsite hp repairer was organised to service the laptop and I was informed I’d be contacted within 2 business days to set a time and day for the service. After not receiving any contact after 4 business days, I contacted hp support again where I eventually had a date set.

The repairer checked the laptop and found the fault not to be caused by the hardware. The repairer advised that even a replacement laptop would not resolve the issue considering the software had already been checked and updated as well. I was told he would submit a report and should receive a call back from hp within 2 business days.

After waiting 2 weeks and still not having received any call from hp, I called their support line once again on 27th April 2018. After explaining all that has happened, and the call centre support woman checking directly with the repairer while I was on the phone, hp eventually agreed to a refund by providing me with an Authorisation for Return letter to give along with the laptop to the store of my original purchase. This call took 1 hour but at least I finally had a resolution to the matter after dealing with hp support directly for over 2.5 months!

I have now purchased a Microsoft Surface Book 2 and couldn’t be happier. Sure, it cost more but I rather pay a bit more and have a computer that actually functions like it should than a cheaper computer that is unusable for my needs.

Conclusions:

- The touch delay after pen use is caused by the software implementation which hp seems to have no intention of fixing or are unable to fix.

- HP support in their own forums is next to useless.

- Pick up the phone and call hp support to get any action from hp. HP’s call centre is based in India and everyone I have talked to has been patient and polite. One of the few good experiences dealing with hp support. Well done to the staff in the call centres.

- But never rely on hp support contacting you back even if they say they will.

- Post a video to hp’s forum prior to calling hp support. A video reinforces what you are describing and ensures there is no misunderstanding of the issue.

- Even though hp never tell you this, be aware there is a process that the support team need to check off on their list before they will even consider a replacement or refund.

1. Firstly has the issue tried to be resolved via a software update performed by a hp service repairer.

2. If a software update by hp has not resolved the issue, then has the issue tried to be resolved by a hardware repair service performed by a hp repairer.

As a result, this can be a long and drawn out process. Not good enough hp. Known issues like this should be well documented on internal databases so the correct resolution to the matter can be provided to your customers much quicker.

- Know your consumer rights in your country.

If it wasn’t for the good rapport with the call centre support team, I would not even consider hp for any more purchases. But due to the good service provided by the call centre team and the fact that hp eventually did the right thing by offering a refund, I will consider their products in the future but will be extremely sceptical and critical in checking their products before purchasing from them again.

I hope this info helps others.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Intern
Intern
30 23 0 3
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for you precise and detailed reply AusKW. 

Unfortunately HP did the fix for the 15 inch but not the 13 inch as expected. Lucky you that you could have a refud and buy a Microsoft Surface that fits you needs!

I will try to do the same.
Best regards,

0 Kudos
Harguer Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi AusKW,

did you tried to reset to factory defults on your laptop? Just want to do that on mine, but not sure it this would help

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation