Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intern
Intern
40 34 0 7
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 Display driver stopped responding and has recovered intel HD graphics error

Spectre X360 N5S03UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just received a brand new spectre X360 (the maxed-out copper colored frame i7/512GB N5S03UA).   From day one, it periodically errors with  "(X) Display driver stopped responding and has recovered Display driver Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows 8(R) stopped responding and has suessfully recovered."   This happens as often as every 15 - 30 minutes during heavy use (downloading large webpages, lots of scrolling, office / word use for large document creation).  It does not matter if powered from battery or AC.  The problem goes away when the machine is run for 'passive' uses, ex: amazon/netflix streaming video w/o user interaction.  Heavy interaction with the keyboard or trackpad seems to be required to cause this error.

Diagnostics with HP support started with pre-boot test of memory,  disk, etc for several hours without any failures combined with bios updates and driver updates.  Next level of troubleshooting was to roll back the system to the first day of ownership (about 7 days back).  When that also failed, the SSD was re-imaged from the recovery partition.  In the first week, there was one critical error (blue screen & reboot).   

Just before the display error comes up, the system freezes momentarily.  5 to 6 typed characters seem to be preserved in a type ahead buffer, but do not show up on screen until the error message appears in the lower right corner.   Once the message is displayed, tracpad inputs and typed characters are updated as the machine unfreezes.

The only other 'odd' problem is with the power sensing - SiSoft Sandra shows a current drain of 432123.02 Amps (a little on the high side) - this may be related to another problem with the battery icon in the system tray which shows % of battery remaining, then says "Calculating ..." but never comes up with a runtime estimate.  One time the intel 2x2 wifi board 'disappeared' from the system configuration (only bluetooth remained) - rebooting brought that hardware back.

Other than these stability issues, I'm very happy with the machine overall - It's well built, supports windows 10 well, and I get good battery life (8-10 hrs depending on use, about 10% per hour of streaming video).  Is anyone else having similar problems?  This system was 'born' on 7 Dec 2015.

EF Basham

18 REPLIES 18
JoeJoe16 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 Display driver stopped responding and has recovered intel HD graphics error

I have a new Spectre x360 and am experiencing the same problem with the display driver.

0 Kudos
JustinKuek Tutor
Tutor
22 17 0 2
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a same spec'ed HP X360, and my issue is worse... the touchscreen activates on its own on the right hand edge... And it is intermittent... It is a HARDWARE issue... Contacted HP support THREE MONTHS ago and they still have not solved the problem!! I am not happy and am sorry I ever bought the machine!!! They refuse to replace the touch screen as they asy they cannot replicate the issue... I said, "Have a look at the video I sent!" They said we are not allowed to look at videos on an external link... They suggested I sent the video DIRECTLY to them, but then REFUSED to give me an e-mail addres I could send it to... GENIUS!!! HP SUCKS!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Intern
Intern
40 34 0 7
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Joe - welcome to the club - it's nice to know it's not just me.  If it weren't for the fact I really like the hardware (wifi 2x2, display, battery life, 512G SSD, and a really solid case that's not all plastic) I would have seriously thought about returning the spectre and buying a macbook air - but I see the spectre x360 as a much better overall design than the air, which is stale by today's standards.  As this is my first windows 10 system, I updated an older HP desktop from win 7 to win 10 to see if 10 was to blame.  That machine hasn't had any issues, but it has a dedicated Nvidia graphics card.

HP sent a replacement unit just before Christmas as we could not determine the cause of this (hardware diags fine, re-image SSD and problem still happens even after updates) - the replacement system ALSO has the same problem.  It also has a serious defect in the Lcd (several pixels stuck in a line)

In fustration on Christmas day, I downloaded a program from cnet to read the system memory dump files created when the blue screen of death shows up.  I've worked in the computer industry long enough to know these files are golden when trying to figure out why somthing just dies.  It pointed the blame at intel's 520 graphics driver.  I searched on HP's support website for graphics drivers and on 25 December 2015 (SAME Day!) there was an update to the graphics driver published.

I've downloaded and installed that update - will post more info as it becomes available.

Along the way, other things (possibly related - but not graphics) happened to this system.  While using it with 4-5 windows open in the browser, suddenly the network (2x2 wifi) just disappeared.  Windows that were open couldn't reach the destination urls.  I checked on system settings -> network and the WIFI card was no longer part of the operating system - it wasn't even listed at the top of the network page where wifi normally sits, and the logo in the lower right corner had a red x in the display.  After two full restarts, the wifi card came back without any further troubleshooting.

The other "magic disappearing hardware" was the synaptics touch pad.  The system was still running, but only the keyboard and touch screen worked.  Again, restart and the touch pad came back.

These problems have only happened one time each, while the system "freeze" on the graphics card happened often - 18 to 30 minutes apart with heavy user interaction on the kbd/pad.  Binge watching HD episodes over the net can run 6 hours without any problems, and still have about 50% charge left over. 

I also noted the original system had a sandisk SSD - the 2nd system had a Samsung SSD.  Also the brand of main memory (8GB) was changed.

Please let us know if the new driver on the support site helps your situation. - I'm still checking here.

EFB

0 Kudos
IanKul Tutor
Tutor
6 4 0 2
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is a common issue, if you scroll through these forums you'll see the question comming up every couple of days. My personal guess is that the Intel driver is not compatible with Windows 10 and that eventually we'll get a fix.

In the meantime, one thing that worked for me was to disable hardware graphics accelleration in the program. In my case if was using the Firefox browser to scroll through web pages with photos (espeically ebay). Turning off graphics accelleration in Firefox hid the problem for me.

There is an HP solution sheet here to address the problem, saying to do all the usual things that it sounds like you've tried.

Here and here are a couple of other posts about a similar problem.

Intern
Intern
40 34 0 7
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm now on my 3rd hardware platform (each a spectre x360) - the problem is still there, and even happens with edge browser.  One thing is different though, and may be caused by the update frequency - this time several blocks of display memory on screen got corrupted (squares and horizontal bars of random pixels) - it even saved through MULTIPLE screen prints to MS Onedrive. 

Unfortunately, hp support personnel are on a strict script - check for hardware errors with factory diags run without the operating system - NONE FOUND? then re-image the hard disk - STILL BAD?  Send that one back and repeat until customer goes away and shuts up.  This is substantially substandard compared to support treatment I've had from IBM on their Thinkpad (now lenovo) and Dell.  These probems, however, were truly hardware.  IBM sent a box & overnight label to turn the machine around in under 5 days.  Dell sent a repair person onsite to replace a video card in my laptop 4 times in 4 years of warrantee.  Both IBM & Dell knew and freely admitted there was a hardware problem, owned it, and saw to a speedy resolution.  I've had to invest much more of my time with HP, and still haven't got a solution.

I have crash dumps from blue screen of death errors that point to the intel driver as the cause, and screen shots imaged when the problem happened (about 25 of those) both with and without corrupted video memory showing visually on the display.  HP support personnel are not interested in the details of what is wrong.  They either don't know or aren't allowed to look at event viewer.  As others have mentioned, they are prohibited from looking at ANY trace evidence of ANY problem by their policy?!?  All they can do is walk through their pre-written scripts, and of course call you back tomorrow.  It seems like Intel, HP, and Microsoft are all sticking their head in the sand pointing the finger at someone else, but nobody is really working on this, likely because there is no escalation to senior engineers or managers when front line agents can't do their job due to the limitation of running diagnostics, or re-imaging your hard disk, after first installing updates.  As the most recent agent told me -  I should leave my computer on for 2 days, don't shut it off or close the lid - that way it will automatically install updates.  I guess that is easier than actively searching for out of date drivers by hand and installing them.

My 'gut feel' : this is INTEL's problem with their 520 integrated graphics.  {That's not to say that no other graphics platform can have the same issue independently - in fact this seems common with win 8/8.1/and now 10}  My other 'gut feel' is NOBODY at HP is doing anything about it, because their front line support have no means of escalation within HP, and no means of contacting Intel or Microsoft for coordinated support.  They need to coordinate across the three companies to fix this.  Back in my day we would have arranged daily conference calls with all 3 companies until resolved, but today this seems to get capped at the frontline support who are kept powerless to effect a solution.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A NAME/PHONE number within HP support management to escalate this?  I'd be happy to organize a group conference call with that person with all the irate customers on the line experiencing this issue.  I'm sure that would be less appealing than calling Intel and demanding support of their 520 hardware & driver.  Then, perhaps they would choose that option.

EF Basham

0 Kudos
Radhaz1 Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just purchased my HP Spectre x360 (i7/512GB SSD) and have been having this error since day 2. On a whim, I when into device manager and found my display adapter info:

Intel HD Graphics 520

Driver dated: 8/24/15

Version: 10.18.15.4279

I clicked "update driver" and after the download and installation ...

Intel HD Graphics 520

Driver dated: 12/31/15

Version: 20.19.15.4360

We will see if this improves any performance.

Tags (1)
Intern
Intern
3 3 0 14
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought the spectre x360 a couple of months ago. I did a clean windows 10 install on the machine and I am facing the same issues with the display driver. I also find it inacceptable that HP is not solving the battery calculating... issue. this issue has been posted 8 months ago, but still no solution has been provided.

no need to say that the support of HP is unacceptable - not to say unexisting.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
40 34 0 7
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bjorn,

I bought mine at the end of Nov 2015, with delivery roughly 7 Dec 2015.  Did the whole troubleshooting, not hardware, re-image, not software - ship new system, return old, ship another, return it again, ship 3rd system - and if I wasn't really pleased with the industrial design of the chassis and abundance of ports,  I would have thrown in the towell - but I have some possibly good news.  Oh, also other substantially similar products from other brands seem to have had the exact same problem.

On 28 Jan 2016, 3 new drivers were released including intel 520 graphics, as well as wifi, and some other item - I forgot the exact device, but possibly trackpad or sound.  The trend in system design is to offload as much as possible on the intel processor - graphics (520), trackpad gestures, even audio equalization is all somewhat cpu intensive.  It's entirely possible the 3 drivers did not co-exist politely.  Intel also makes the wifi chipset. 

There were 2 "false starts" at fixing JUST intel 520 graphics on 21 dec 2015 and 25 dec 2015, but neither made the problem go away. 

I installed all 3 updates on 28 Jan 2016 just after they were published.  So far -- I have not had any more graphics driver stopped & recovered errors.   My system did crash doing one of the driver updates - the wifi - but it seems to have taken.  Statistically, by now, I should have had 10 or more 'events' - but I haven't had one.  Note: I'm not saying it's fixed.  The fact I haven't had a problem could be a fluke of another nature.   But 3 days without a problem is rare, at least with my usage.

I highly recommend everyone hits the HP (?) logo in the system tray and get the 28 Jan updates.  Then compare notes here.

Yes, the fact that HP support is patronizing at best, and reads from a canned script "Oh, I can assure you I understand how fustrated you must feel having such trouble with your brand new HP product" gets old after the 100th call or so.  It's VERY clear the problem is NOT the hardware, but the drivers - probably Intel's fault if I had to guess.  Unfortunately the only way to motivate them is by calling.  Often. 

If anyone else is interested, I've found some configuration and software/OS changes that squeak a few extra hours of battery life out of the x360 & windows 10.  It also involves a bit of user training.  The battery life was the other major factor in keeping the x360 versus jumping ship to find the same problem with a different vendor.  Power is another x360 issue that windows is always "calculating" remaining battery life but never gets to a number, charging nor discharging.  SiSoft Sandra's power diagnostics module reports very reasonable voltage for the 3 cell x 3.7 v battery, but reports current measurements in the 100's of 1000's of negative amps, with 3 floating point digits, i.e. -232,404.338 Amps at 11.x volts - a couple megawatts give or take, which may be why win 10 can never calculate remaining life on a 54 watt-hr battery.  I quit letting that bother me long ago.

I hope these most recent updates prove helpful for all.

EF Basham

AngelicaDeJesus Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've had the same problems as you and I've found your advice helpful! May I ask what tweaks you've made to the os to improve battery life because I've been having problems with that? Thanks!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation