momoro9998 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 Screen Cracked

Spectre x360

I purchased my Spectre x360 six months ago and have taken very good care of it. Every night I clean the keyboard and screen and make sure that there are no obstructions before closing it and storing it on my desk for the night. However, this morning I opened my laptop and noticed on the bottom of the screen near the left hinge there is a crack. As a college student, this was a graduation present and I am hardpressed to afford any repairs and was distraught to find out there was damage to the computer that I take very good care of it. As a long-time HP user and satisfied customer, knowing that I had 6 months of warranty my boyfriend called the technical support and customer service centers multiple times in order to try and resolve this issue. After four calls he was able to connect with a support representative who after setting up a case number said that the cost would be over $400 after discounting it. After some separate investigation we discovered the LED is operating fine and only the touch screen glass has been cracked. Upon further analysis of the crack, the brittle failure could have only occurred through high pressure or high torques, neither of which have occurred. It is outrageous that such a company that provides a warranty cannot amend an issue that is the company's own fault and is so widespread. This is not an accident that should be covered under Accidental Coverage as it is not my fault that is happened. I have been very happy with this product up to this point and just want the problem to be fixed.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
41,097 39,573 6,155 10,679
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You and others. Look we weren't there when this happens. I have been around laptops and laptop warranties for a long time. The manufacturers correctly or incorrectly assume if the screen cracks then it must be caused by external violent force i.e. an accident which the warranty does not cover. You have to buy Accidental Damage protection. I will say I have never seeen so many posts just like this one about any model so much as the x360s. But they are skinny and fragile and lots of them have been sold so it is inevitable there are going to be screen breaks. And again, without pointing fingers it is human nature to deny responsibility when a graduation present breaks under your control. 

$400 is actually not a terrible price for replacement and labor. We could help you find just the glass and digitizer and assuming there is a cell phone repair place in your town and there likely is if you go to a decent sized university, they have the tools and skills to replace a touchscreen glass and digitizer and you might get out of this for $250-300 all in. If you can sweet talk a classmate with tech skills into doing the labor (and this is not something to try for the first time) for free it is maybe $125-175. 

This is an end User Forum and we have no ability to grant a reprieve from the Warranty. That is up to HP and they have already given you what is likely to be the best offer they are going to make. Good luck. 

0 Kudos
Retired danny-r
Retired
8,249 7,079 141 473
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@momoro9998

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
41,097 39,573 6,155 10,679
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can't beat that. Check and see what HP is willing to do for you. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation