Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4102dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've started having a problem with my laptop where the the mouse pointer takes on a life of its own. It goe to the right edge of the screen and acts as if the button is being continually pressed. When I can finally reboot it, it resolves for a while, and then starts doing it all over again. I have reinstalled the mouse/touchpad drivers, upgraded the bios. I have set the touchpad settings to disable the touchpad when a mouse is plugged in and that doesn't help.

I've seen some other threads that seem to be the same problem but there doesn't seem to be a solution. I haven't tried restoring to a backup from before this started yet. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Hi @dbronstein88

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and understand that mouse pointer is getting stuck in the top right corner.

I’d love to help!

This behavior can occur if the SnapTo feature of the IntelliType software is enabled. Follow the below steps to fix this issue.

1. Press CTRL+ESC to open the Start menu.
  2. Use the UP ARROW key to select Settings, press the RIGHT ARROW key to select Control Panel, and then press ENTER.
  3. Use the ARROW keys to select the Keyboard icon, and then press ENTER.
  4. Press SHIFT+TAB, press RIGHT ARROW, and then press RIGHT ARROW to select the Pointer Activity tab.
  5. Press TAB three times, and then press SPACE BAR to clear the Snap pointer to default button in dialog boxes check box.
  6. Press TAB twice, and then press ENTER.
  7. Close Control Panel.
  8. Download and install the 11p32upd.exe file from the Microsoft Download Center. 

NOTE: After you install the 11p32upd.exe file, you can use the Mouse tool in Control Panel to enable the SnapTo feature.

The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/easyball10win/update/1/win98/en-us/11p32upd.exe

Let me know how it goes and I hope you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

"I reviewed your post and understand that mouse pointer is getting stuck in the top right corner."

No, you do not understand.

First, those instructions to get to the right setting don't work in Windows 10.  Second, pointer activity is not a keyboard setting, it's a mouse setting. Third, I do not have this option checked. Fourth, this has absolutely nothing to do with this problem at all.

The mouse pointer is not snapping to buttons, it's just going to the right edge of the screen and acting like someone is clicking like a madman. Even if I hit ctrl-alt-delete to get ot that blue screen to sign out and whatnot, the pointer will stick to the right side of the screen and flash like someone is clicking very rapidly.  Rebooting clears it up for a while, and then the behavior returns.

HP Recommended

Hi @dbronstein88

Thank you for posting back.

Follow below steps and check if it helps.

Disabling the disappearing feature in Windows 10:

1. Left click on the “Desktop” icon from the Windows 10 start menu.
  2. Move the mouse cursor to the lower right corner of the screen.
  3. A menu should pop up and you need to left click on the “Settings” icon you have present there.
  4. Left click on the “Control Panel” feature.
  5. In the “Control Panel” window you need to find and left click on the “Hardware and Sound” feature.
  6. Left click on the “Mouse” icon.
  7. A window with “Mouse Properties” should open; you will need to left click on the “Pointer options” tab on the upper side of the window.
  8. You will have to uncheck the box next to “Hide pointer while typing”.
  9. Left click on the “OK” button on the lower side of the screen.
  10. Close every window you opened and reboot the computer.

Check if the issue is resolved after the reboot. If the issue persists, follow below steps.

1. After the Windows boots up you will need to left click on the “Desktop” icon.
  2. Move the cursor to the lower right corner of the screen.
  3. After the menu feature pops up left click on the “Settings” feature.
  4. Left click on “Control Panel” feature.
  5. In the “Control Panel” window you will need to left click on the “Find and fix problems” feature.
    Note: the “Find and fix problems” feature can be found on the “System and Security” topic.
  6. A “Troubleshooting” window will show, from the right side of the window left click on the “Hardware and Sound” option.
  7. Now in the “Device” category left click on “Next” button for the “Hardware and Devices”.
  8. A scan will begin and after it is finished you will need to left click on “Apply this fix”.
  9. Close the windows you have open.
  10. Reboot the computer and see if you still have this issue.

Let me know how it goes and I hope you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried your suggestions, still have the problem. The Googling I've done shows a similar issue with the HP Envy that is a hardware problem with the touchpad. I've had this laptop for about 11 months and it worked great until about 2 days ago when this started.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you to perform a push button reset without loss of data and check. Click here for assistance. 

If the issue persists, please contact our phone support for the service options. 

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did the windows reset and it seems to be working fine so far. Of course I spent 4 hours having to reinstall programs. And I have no confidence it won't happen again.

HP Recommended

@dbronstein88

Thank you for replying. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.

I'm glad to know that it seems to work fine as of now and really hope it stays that way. However, do feel free to reach out to us for any further assistance. Take care! 🙂

HP Recommended

I spoke too soon, it's acting up again. It's the same issue as in this post, which shows a video of what it's doing - http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Spectre-x360-convertible-Touchscree...

HP Recommended

@dbronstein88

Thanks for reaching out. 🙂

Please run a hardware test on the touchpad:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component test,

List of the Component tests

• Mouse/Touchpad - There are 2 mouse tests to determine if the mouse is functioning correctly - the Pointer Test and the Drag and Drop Test. Click Mouse/Touchpad, then select the test you want to run and follow the instructions.

Let me know the results. Thanks! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.