Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp envy x360 convertible 13ar0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi to all. Since some time I have been experiencing this annoying and dangerous behaviour on my new x360 envy. I have everything up to date together with framework and bios. It happens that from time to time all of a sudden my hotkeys ( brightness, volume, CAPS , keyboard led key and mute ) do not work at all AND at the same time fan stops spinning and the temperature rises extrem. It takes at least 2 restarts and everything's working back to normal with fan spinning correctly and hotkeys functioning. I have uninstalled all frameworks etc.  The keys anyway are functioning without any HP framework before they stop. Also I have performed full diagnostic tests and all the components are 100% ok. 

Do you have any idea what it can be ? Please do not answer with sth. like "update your windows, drivers etc. " I have done it and that is not the issue. I have noticed that at the same time keyboard is functioning strange. Maybe one of the Pen drivers or other is causing hotkey crash and fan stopping ? Thank you in advance.

P.S. I wanted to add that overall I am pretty glad with my envy and I think HP laptops are generally quite good and look good with really good performance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@stereoman You are right about this being a hardware malfunction if not a software, please use the HP recovery media, If you don't have an HP Recovery media and have attempted reset using the windows troubleshooter or a retail copy of windows, you'll need to order a recovery media: Click here for steps.

Or you may also attempt to download the same using the steps on this link: click here

For details on how to perform a successful reset: click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@stereoman,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the hotkeys are not working randomly, and the computer is overheating.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

• What is the product number of your computer?
  • When was the last time the computer was working fine?

Meanwhile, I recommend you download and install the HP System Event Utility from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp101501-102000/sp101543.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Fossette , no it did not work. Here are the details of my laptop: 

HP Envy Convertible 
13-ar0xxx

Ryzen 5 3500U + Vega 8

Bios F19

So it looks like it is a software issue ( of course can be HW related as well but in this case I really don't know ).

It looks like something crashes the driver that disables fan and keyboard at the same time. So after 1 hour of correct working suddenly the fan stops and keyoboard hangs with no hotkeys enabled ( lights etc. are all off , CAPS light is off ) keyboard then types not correctly - as if it was broken.

I have performed Windows Fresh Start option. That does not work after a longer while - the laptop stops responding all of a sudden. I mean fan and keyboard - the rest is working, Any ideas ?  I need to mention that that happens also by "Fan always on" enabled in Bios. 

HP Recommended

UPDATE: Ok I think I have found solution myself. The reason is the "system firmware" that conflicts with BIOS. I have disabled "System Firmware" driver , reinstalled BIOS and since then the problem has seemed to be gone. I need to yet wait to confirm that this is the solution indeed.

HP Recommended

Hello to all - I am writing again as a summary to the post I have written some time ago: 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Strange-behaviour-with-Hotkeys-freezi... 

The case of a new laptop: Laptop fan and keyboard all of a sudden stop working. Fan is suddenly off, hot keys ( lightining, CAPS light, event utility) do not work - keyboard slows down and stops almost typing. At the same time the internal temperature rises quickly ! Up to 90 C and above - unless you quickly power off the laptop. It is extremely dangerous for all the components. 

Windows refresh and event utility reinstallation does not help at all. That happens after a while from the beginning of laptop use circa after an hour or so generally. 

After a long time I think I have found myself a solution and up until now the glitch seems to gone and laptop works 100% correct. The reason seems to be "System Firmware" driver in Device Manager that conflicts with BIOS. The driver needs to be disabled and BIOS should be reinstalled afterwards. I have no clue why "System Firmware" appears in device manager. This is UEFI CAPSULE driver but this serious glitch needs to checked by the HP STAFF immediately.

To really confirm that that was the reason I need to wait it over - for now it is functioning. 

HP Recommended

@stereoman That's good, I'm glad you got the solution, I suggest you observe the device for a few days and let us know if that's a permanent solution.

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It happens after 3 days back again. The only soulution is to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch I think and see whether that works. Otherwise it can be a HW failure.

HP Recommended

@stereoman You are right about this being a hardware malfunction if not a software, please use the HP recovery media, If you don't have an HP Recovery media and have attempted reset using the windows troubleshooter or a retail copy of windows, you'll need to order a recovery media: Click here for steps.

Or you may also attempt to download the same using the steps on this link: click here

For details on how to perform a successful reset: click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - Windows Re-installation helped and it is working properly for now.

HP Recommended

@stereoman That's awesome, I'm glad it worked,

Remember, if you ever need help related to your HP device,

We'll be right here and happy to help, take care and have an awesome day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.