Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

For the HP 15-dy2095 Laptop with the "SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate" port, does this port have the ability to handle video and sound for an HDMI connection?  For example, I want to attach a Wavlink Docking Station to this Type-C port, and connect a HDMI connector from a TV to the Docking Station's HDMI port to obtain a laptop screen image on my TV.  (I want to stream video from the laptop to the larger TV screen).  I understand there is an HDMI port on this laptop.  I do not want to use that port for this Video setup.  I'd prefer to use the docking station for that purpose.  

Thanks in advance for all constructive advice.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Spinwizer wrote:

..., does this port have the ability to handle video and sound for an HDMI connection?  For example, I want to attach a Wavlink Docking Station to this Type-C port, and connect a HDMI connector from a TV to the Docking Station's HDMI port to obtain a laptop screen image on my TV. ..

@Spinwizer 

Naturally NO,  You need USB-C port which support Alt mode to be able to have video out. It won't fully work with USB-C docks.

In short:  The USB-C port on your machine (what is it ?  HP 15-dy2095 is not a full model/product ) does NOT support Alt mode nor Power Delivery. You can NOT use it to

• Charge your machine
  • Connect to an external monitor with/without hub/dock/adapter

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Spinwizer wrote:

..., does this port have the ability to handle video and sound for an HDMI connection?  For example, I want to attach a Wavlink Docking Station to this Type-C port, and connect a HDMI connector from a TV to the Docking Station's HDMI port to obtain a laptop screen image on my TV. ..

@Spinwizer 

Naturally NO,  You need USB-C port which support Alt mode to be able to have video out. It won't fully work with USB-C docks.

In short:  The USB-C port on your machine (what is it ?  HP 15-dy2095 is not a full model/product ) does NOT support Alt mode nor Power Delivery. You can NOT use it to

• Charge your machine
  • Connect to an external monitor with/without hub/dock/adapter

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks BH.  It is really hard to find detailed spec information about these ports.  I'm sure others are coming up against similar challenges.  Thanks again.  

Spinwiser.  

HP Recommended

Have you found a solution? I have the HP Laptop 15-dy2073dx and im trying to figure out how to connect to a external monitor to one of the USB ports so i can run dual monitors.  My only solution is to use bluetooth to connect to Samsung Smart Monitor which i dont want to rely on.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.