Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP I7 Envy x 360 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently updated Window 10 Home and my fingerprint scanner stopped working.

Information:

Windows 10 Home 64 bit, V 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Bios- F.05, 11/28/2019

Synaptic Fingerprint Driver WBDI SGX  V. 6.0.33.1111, 11/19/20

Things I have tried:

Uninstalled driver, restarted, system found driver, but does not work.  "Set up" will not work.

Downloaded:

Synaptic Fingerprint Driver Windows 10v1809v1903-sp98547, 6/18/20

Synaptic Fingerprint Driver - SP 1044404, 7/8/20

With no driver installed I tried to install both of these drivers one at a time receiving the same message, "The driver is not supported on the OS (10.0.1941)"

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@Ricardo70 

You need a driver that supports Windows 2004.

Download and save the new driver to your computer

Uninstall And Delete the existing driver > Restart > Install the new driver > Restart

Driver

sp105483.exe

Information files

sp105483.cva

sp105483.html

[Devices]
USB\VID_06CB&PID_00C9="Synaptics WBDI SGX"

[Operating Systems]
WT64_2004=OEM

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for assisting me.

I did download the new driver you put in your reply.  I again tried to uninstall and delete the old driver.  I verified the fingerprint device was uninstalled in the device manager and restarted.  Evidently Windows got the old driver again and reinstalled it.

I tried to prevent Windows from doing this again by turning off the "device installation settings" button in Control Panel--System and Security--System--advanced--hardware.  When I restarted the old driver was back,  I did not attempt to install the new driver..... grrrr.

Help..

HP Recommended

@Ricardo70 

I cannot explain why a an uninstalled and deleted driver would replace an installed newer driver.

Downloaded / installed drivers are normally stored in C:\SWSetup

I guess it's possible the old driver package is lurking but I cannot explain why it is installing without instruction to do so (driver deleted in the Biometrics section of the Device Manager.

The only thing I can suggest is to try again.

NOTE:  If the Driver fails to install, and /or there are errors, check / adjust the following parameters and retry the Driver installation

• Download and Save the Synaptics – Validity Biometric Driver you wish to install
  • Delete the existing Driver from Device Manager:

Control Panel > set icon view > Device Manager >

Open category Biometric Devices >

Right-Click on Validity Sensor Driver >

Uninstall (Tick box to delete driver) >

Device Manager > Action > Scan for hardware changes >

Verify Driver is removed > If necessary, repeat delete steps >

• Shut down the computer to Off condition, wait several seconds > Boot and log in

• Install the new downloaded Driver and Restart

Open File Explorer Window > Navigate to the Downloads folder in which you saved the Driver > Double-Click on the Driver package to start the installation > When the Driver has installed, Restart the computer and log in

• Windows 10

Check / verify / set up Sign-in options, including the PIN setup to enable Windows Hello / fingerprint sign-in

I'll have to think on it a bit.

If I have anything else to add, I will post back.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

OK, did the following:

**Uninstalled old driver (v6.03.33.1111, 11/19/20) through the device manager (and deleted the driver).

**Verified through "scan hardware" in device  manager that nothing was in Biometrics (I did notice that "Synaptics SMBUS     Driver" was still in System Devices in the Device Manager.)

**Shut down computer, waited, and rebooted

**It reloaded the old driver, see above.

I then uninstalled/deleted old driver and loaded new driver I downloaded from you, v6.0.39.1111, 3/167/20 without shutting the computer down. The Device manager shows the new driver.

Current downloaded driver installed.jpg

but fingerprint set up still does not work (Hello PIN is correct and working)Error msg trying fingerprint set up.jpg

This is a screen shot of my swsetup folder:

swsetup folder on C Drive.jpg

HP Recommended

@Ricardo70 

Anything I can suggest for Windows sign-in is really the same as all the articles you've been checking on the 'net.

Regardless of anything at all, before you make changes to the ability to log into your computer, be sure you have backups of your most critical data on other than the local computer.  If you manage to somehow fix it so you cannot log in at all, we cannot help you.  Not.  Our policy forbids us including any information that can / would breach system security. 

What to try?

This article seems to cover the basics pretty well and also includes some of the slightly less common fixes, too.

The website is not overrun with advertisements (a good thing). 

be careful about "Clicking" stuff - one never knows...

How To Fix Windows Hello Fingerprint Not Working In Windows 10

Notes: 

You'll want to ignore the sections that are not relevant - for example, you have the most recent version of the fingerprint driver already.

Consider:

Do shut off Fast Start - even if you decide to re-add it later, this is just not wanted when you are testing and changing things.  The whole "fast start" idea is somewhat unnecessary for a decently healthy system and reasonable hardware.  "Not fast" is just not that slow, in other words.  Booting from the Windows OS instead of a saved configuration can be a good thing.

You likely don't have to "Repair system files", though to be honest, there is usually no harm in checking and File System corruption can certainly impact what is going on.

FYI - Group Policy changes are available for Pro versions of Windows.  None of the changes should be necessary at this point, though there was a time (Version 1703 / 1709??) when there was a glitch in the Group Policy management.  If you run Windows 10 Pro and if you have not seen the setup, it is worth taking a look.  Remember:  Not-configured generally defaults to the condition you want / expect.  If you do want to configure the policy editor as suggested in the article, there is generally no harm in doing so - just be careful.

Optional

You could try creating another account - a local account to start, after the account is created, edit the account and set the account type to Administrator.  Give the account a decent password that you can remember.  Restart the computer, log into the new account, get into Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options and set the account to use a Microsoft Password.  Set up a PIN number (mandatory).  Restart the computer > log into that new account > try adding the fingerprint setup.

If I think of anything to add, I will edit this message or post back.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

You have been more than thorough and I appreciate it !

HP Recommended

@Ricardo70 

You are welcome.

Too bad I am missing the one thing that would likely fix the setup.

Rats.

🐀

Maybe one of our Experts will pile on to add a fresh perspective.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Good morning... I will pursue the sources you have given to me.  At least I am learning on this journey. 

1. Would you please confirm that the driver you pointed me toward, and I have installed, is the latest one for my fingerprint device:

Synaptics UWP WBDI SGX

6.0.39.111, 3/216/2020

2. Should I be able to find drivers for my HP laptop easily on the HP site (or Synaptics site) ?  For some reason it is difficult for me.

HP Recommended

@Ricardo70 

Sure, we can do that...

Please Confirm - Provide the following information

➡️  Product Name / Product Number of your computer.

Finding your Product Name, Product Number, or Serial Number

Do NOT post the serial number on a public site (here).

➡️  Check Current BIOS version

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > System Information

System Summary - Check the information next to BIOS Version / Date 

and...

➡️  Confirm Board ID

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > System Information

System Summary – Check the information: Baseboard Product

General Clean up and checks

➡️  Are all other HP Software and Drivers current / updated / installed?

➡️  Are all Windows Updates current / checked / updated / installed?

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.