Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
MacBook Pro (2013) and HP EliteBook 850
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi, I have an HP EliteBook 850 which has a USB-C Thunderbolt 3 Port and a MacBook Pro (late 2013) which has a Thunderbolt 2 port. 

Would I be able to connect either of these devices to the EliteDisplay E223d via its USB-C Port?

I’m not sure I can connect the Mac even with a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter, does anyone know for sure?

Or would I need a Thunderbolt dock like the Caldigit Pro USB-C dock? Which kind of defeats the purpose of buying a monitor which acts as a dock too.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello

I can't tell about MacBook but which is the generation of your ELitebook 850 ,  G6 or G5 or older ?

bye

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, it’s a G5 it’s the thunderbolt 2 compatibility I was more concerned about.

I ended up going for a USB-C & Thunderbolt dock, connected via DisplayPort to the cheaper version which doesn’t have a built in doc. For anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future, this is my setup:

Caldigit USB-C Pro Dock (also thunderbolt compatible)

HP EliteDisplay E243 23.8” FHD IPS Monitor (the cheaper one with no dock)

Elitebook connected to dock via USB-C

Dock connected to monitor via displayport

When my MacBook is connected it’s via Thunderbolt 2, an Apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter and into the same USB-C port on my dock that my Elitebook uses.

Both scenarios work, so I’ve ordered my second display and will report back if the dual screen works via the same above setup (dock has a second DisplayPort output)

HP Recommended

Hello

I have experience with HP Thunderbolt Dock G2.

I use  an ELitebook 840 G5 (so like yours but with smaller display).

I have connected 4K Monitor to DP port of TB Dock G2..

the E223d should works fine with 850 G5 when connected to thunderbolt port and take even the power from USB-C cable coming from E223d.

Bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.