5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Thunderbolt 3 External GPU Compatibility/Support

HP Recommended
2016 Kaby Lake Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi There Guys,

I've just purchased the latest Spectre X360 specifically because it has thunderbolt three, which I would one day like to use with an external GPU. I've read in some places that HP are specifically blocking the use of external GPU's on these devices which is troubling. 

Its been confirmed that the spectre does not work with the Razer core

Just wondering if this is true and if anyone knows whether this will likely change as if there is no support i'll be returning the laptop before it arrives!

Thanks,

Jason

7 REPLIES 7
Level 17
Level 17
43,990 43,776 7,025 12,383
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not sure how you return it before it arrives but if you bought it thinking it would support an eGPU you just bought a big disappointment sandwich. We have no way to know if HP will ever issue a BIOS that does support the razer and other similar Tbolt eGPUs but they did just modify BIOS on the Spectre 13 to allow some 3rd party USB-C chargers. 

Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not return it, i guess just cancel my order as it hasn't been shipped yet.

The third party charger thing is pretty encouraging as it means that HP might be listening to feedback from customers.  I know a lot of people were mad about not being able to use third party chargers on their spectres.

Is there any way of getting some information from someone actually at HP? I know this is a volunteer forum. 

0 Kudos
6 4 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

Not sure how you return it before it arrives but if you bought it thinking it would support an eGPU you just bought a big disappointment sandwich. We have no way to know if HP will ever issue a BIOS that does support the razer and other similar Tbolt eGPUs but they did just modify BIOS on the Spectre 13 to allow some 3rd party USB-C chargers. 

Can you point to the few third party USB-C chargers that can work with the new spectre x360? I am interested in a more protable usb charger that can charge both the phone and laptop alike so that it reduces weight of my bag. 

Thanks,

John.

0 Kudos
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brah, this thread is about eGPU

0 Kudos
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK Friends, potentially good news!

Someone on reddit has tested the Razer Core with the Kaby Lake X360 and found that it does indeed word, albeit with some USB issues which are to be expected.

Obviously its impossible for me to completely verify this, but he's posted screenshots with benchmarks so it looks legit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/587xju/my_experience_with_the_razer_core_spectre_x360/ 

This is probably enough for me to call HP and cancell the return I had scheduled for monday!

0 Kudos
2 1 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I have tryed the HP Spectre X360 Kaby Lake edition with both Razer Core and Akitio Thunder3 as eGPU's. In the Razer Core case I initially had problems with the drivers from Nvidia(choosing the latest from their site) after installation it  casused the X360 lose connection from time to time, but when I uninstalled the drivers and gave Windows the chance to download and choose driver all problems disappeared. I made a some videos, the one with Razer Core linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7PWn00YM2E&t=181s

Best regards

David

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Dwkreviews you think you can provide me the exact prices and the links to the drivers you used? I'm haBing a lot of trouble with the diver on the spectre x360 8th gen. I could really you your help.
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation