Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 2-in-1 laptop, model # 15-ch011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know several users have encountered this problem with their screens flickering (in fact, "vibrating" would be a more appropriate description since the flickering is at a very high rate), which has been extremely frustrating and after extensive testing, the following things have become evident:

1) The HP Diagnostics module is BS and failed to detect the problem
2) Updated drivers for both Intel UHD Graphics 620 and NVIDIA GeForce MX150 but the problem persists
3) The flickering/vibrating of the display is directly linked to BRIGHTNESS. Play around with brightness and you'll notice that typically at the highest brightness setting the flickering will stop
4) The display panels/parts in the affected HP laptops are faulty and amount to manufacturing defects. HP must either come up with driver updates to be able to address this issue completely, or issue a recall notice for all affected laptops

Has anyone else been able to find a solution better/simpler than what I've posted above?

Specs:

HP Spectre x360 2-in-1 laptop, model # 15-ch011dx
Intel UHD Graphics 620 (driver v26.20.100.7985 dated 9-Mar-2020)
NVIDIA GeForce MX150 (driver v445.75 dated 17-Mar-2020)

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Jedi_Knight

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• When was the last time it worked without these issues?
  • Have you checked the display on an external monitor?

let’s try these steps to resolve the problem:

I recommend you attempt to access the BIOS screen by tapping on F10 while the computer is restarting, 

If the issue persists in the BIOS screen which is outside windows, it would confirm a hardware failure.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue (and it is very frustrating 😞 ).

The flickering indeed seems to be related to the brightness. This I didn't know but it is somewhat helpful. In my case the screen starts to flicker all the time when I set the brightness to 100%, making the laptop completely unusable.

The flickering does NOT occur in the BIOS (and also not when working under Linux) but it does occur starting with the GRUB menu. From this, it certainly doesn't look like it's a hardware problem.

The laptop has been working fine for a long time (almost 2 years) and then suddenly this issue arised.

I hope someone here can provide a solution. Thank you very much in advance.

Specs

HP Spectre X360

Intel UHD Graphics 620 Driver version 22.20.16.4836  -  17/10/2017

NVIDIA GeForce MX150  Driver version 22.21.13.8259  - 11/6/2017

Brigitte

HP Recommended

Come to think of it: the problem may have been there all the time!

It may only have become apparent now because I accidentally increased the brightness level to 85.

I reset it to 70 after reading the above post and ... the problem seems solved.

Thank you Jedi_Knight for pointing out the link with the brightness!

HP Recommended

@Jedi_Knight
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

This sounds like windows OS related issue, as your using dual boot we won't be able to isolate the issue unless you reinstall clean windows OS.

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for this information.

HP Recommended

@BrigitteV

Thank you for posting back. 

You're welcome! Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.