Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

The touchpad on my laptop often stops working after my computer is turned on after sleeping or  if my computer is on but I don't use the touchpad for a while. It usually works again after I restart the computer but sometimes I have to restart the computer 2 or even 3 times. Sometimes the touch screen also doesn't work. When I go to settings, the touchpad settings are either greyed out or gone completely, with there only being mouse settings. In the device manager, the synaptics precision touchpad filter driver and the touch screen is sometimes gone completely. My windows is up to date and my touchpad drivers are up to date so I don't know what else it could be. I reinstalled Windows a few days ago so all the settings are as they should be, although I was having this problem before the reinstall so that is not what caused the problem. I have had this laptop for about a year and this only started happening about 2 months ago. Is the any solution to this besides getting the touchpad replaced? The touchpad is not available in the HP parts store so is it even possible to get the touchpad replaced?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi@ozka, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand that touchpad has stopped working on your PC.

As you mentioned that touchpad is not getting listed in the device manager.

Have you tried checking with an external mouse? Does the external mouse work?

BIOS is updated?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Click the Device Settings or the Click Pad Settings tab of Mouse Properties. If you have a Synaptic device, the tab includes the Synaptic icon. 

Select the desired touchpad under the Devices list, and then click either Enable to turn on the device.

On some touchpads, you can turn the Touchpad on or off by double-tapping in the upper-left corner of the Touchpad. Double-tap to turn the Touchpad on, repeat to turn the Touchpad off.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot touchpad issues.

If the issue still persists please provide the product number of your PC. 

I will try to find the best driver available for your PC.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for responding.

An external mouse works with my computer. My BIOS is updated. I tried the recommended steps and everything in the article and my touchpad is still not working properly.

The product number is 8JN80AV.

HP Recommended

HI@ ozka,

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.TO Reset the notebook

1. Turn off your HP laptop.
  2. Disconnect all external devices (printers, USB drives, etc.) from your computer.
  3. Remove all recently added internal hardware.
  4. Press the Power button to switch your HP laptop on.
  5. Once your unit starts booting, immediately press the F11 key. Repeatedly press it until you see the Choose an Option screen.
  6. Select Troubleshoot.
  7. Choose Reset this PC.
  8. You can either opt to keep your files or to remove everything.
  9. Select Keep My Files when you want to retain your data. Once you click Reset, your operating system will be reinstalled. The process may take a while.
  10. Choose Remove Everything when you want to remove all your personal files.
  11. You can opt to remove everything solely on the drive where your operating system is installed. On the other hand, you can click All Drives when you do not want to retain any data.
  12. You can also fully clean the drive you selected or just remove your files.
  13. Click Reset.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

HP Recommended

Hi, I have tried those steps but the issue is still not fixed.

HP Recommended

Hi@ozka,

We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to check to get to know its hardware is faulty, not a software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.