Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15-k020us Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just recently, the touchscreen no longer works in Windows 10. Running diagnositics at startup UEFI shows the touchscreen works fine. In windows, device manager has Human Interface Device category. Under this are three items, all yellow exclamation points (Bluetooth HID device, HP Wireless Button driver, and USB Input device.)  Note that HID compliant touch screen is absent, and I believe it was present previously. Visited the website and downloaded and installed the HP wireless button driver (my version 1.1.3.1 and website shows 1.1.5.1) but after running the install and rebooting, the driver number remains at 1.1.3.1 FWTW.  Support assistant does not run, even after attempting re-install.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SaltyPaws1,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue persists, I would personally suggest you uninstall HP Support Assistant from Control panel - Programs and features.

Restart the computer and then I would suggest you run a sfc /scannow on your computer.

In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.
Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.
When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.
If the file checker found and replaced any corrupted files, restart the computer and check the performance.
If the file checker did not find any corrupted files or found corrupted files but could not replace them, go to the next step.
If System File Checker finds corrupted files but cannot replace them, use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. DISM checks the corrupted files; then downloads and replaces the files using Windows Update.
In Windows, open a web browser.
   NOTE:
You need to be connected to the Internet to use DISM.
In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Make sure to include the space before each / in the command line.
Press Enter and wait while DISM works. This might take several minutes.
If DISM finds corrupted files, it replaces them using Windows Update. If this occurs, after DISM is finished, restart your computer and see if the performance has improved.

Once done, restart the computer and then download and install the latest version of HP Support Assistant using this link. 

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SaltyPaws1,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue persists, I would personally suggest you uninstall HP Support Assistant from Control panel - Programs and features.

Restart the computer and then I would suggest you run a sfc /scannow on your computer.

In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.
Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.
When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.
If the file checker found and replaced any corrupted files, restart the computer and check the performance.
If the file checker did not find any corrupted files or found corrupted files but could not replace them, go to the next step.
If System File Checker finds corrupted files but cannot replace them, use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. DISM checks the corrupted files; then downloads and replaces the files using Windows Update.
In Windows, open a web browser.
   NOTE:
You need to be connected to the Internet to use DISM.
In Command Prompt, type dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Make sure to include the space before each / in the command line.
Press Enter and wait while DISM works. This might take several minutes.
If DISM finds corrupted files, it replaces them using Windows Update. If this occurs, after DISM is finished, restart your computer and see if the performance has improved.

Once done, restart the computer and then download and install the latest version of HP Support Assistant using this link. 

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. I followed your troubleshooting tree:

Update troubleshooter: possibly corrupt update database, not fixed.

windows updates: no updates

HP assistant removed

sfc: found errors but couldn't fix them all

dism: 75% complete, then error cant find specified file.

read about doing OFFLINE dism, and downloaded the Win10 iso. In the process, windows suggested I update. Hit the button to update to Win 10 ver1903 (old ver 1803). Rechecked, and no updates. 

AND the touchscreen is working again. Drivers are back in the device manager HID-compliant device. Guess the possibly corrupt database wasn't allowing me to even see the 1903 update.

HP Recommended

@SaltyPaws1,

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out.

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.