Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
PAVILION 15-P229SA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Due to the hinge support breaking behind the screen I have had to replace both the hinges and the lid cover containing the screen. Prior to this change, the touch screen was working perfectly. On rebuilding the lid housing the screen everything worked fine other than the touch screen. I can confirm all connectors are attached to the motherboard as they should be.

In regard to hardware, I have replaced the digitizer which made no difference.

On the software side, I have checked settings - system - about - pen and touch where it states 'No Pen or Touch input is available for this display'.

In device manager under Universal Bus Controllers,  one controller states 'UnknownUSB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). On opening properties for this device the Device Status switches between 2 messages, they are:

1.Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (code 43) A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

and

2. Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer (code 45). To fix this problem, reconnect the hardware device to the computer. A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

To clarify there is no listing for the touch screen under Human Interface Devices even with 'show hidden devices' selected. I have also replaced the original hard drive with another which only contained a freshly installed version of Windows 10. This displayed exactly the same results in device manager etc so I think it would be safe to eliminate registry errors.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I might proceed before making the investment of replacing the touch screen itself? Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Neil

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Harleybiker

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This document should help you: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03488148

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.