Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, just joined forum. 

I recently bought an Envy 17" with Touchsmart and Windows 8. Upgraded to 8.1.

The screen fails to recognize touch, then after I restart, it works fine. Kind of a nuisance to start computer, and immediately have to restart, to use touch. What can I do to correct ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey Fishmort,

I was wondering  what model your laptop is. Here is a fix for Touchscreen issues from Microsoft. Maybe it will help.

Solution 2: Reset touchscreen calibration

The touchscreen shouldn’t need recalibration, but if you or another user has recalibrated it, it may affect the performance of the touchscreen.

Here’s how to check or restore the factory default calibration using a keyboard or mouse:

Step 1: Press the Windows logo key Windows logo key + S to open Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search Search charm.)
Step 2: Type Control Panel, then use the arrow keys to highlight Control Panel, and press Enter.
(Or, click Control Panel.)
Step 3: In Control Panel, use the arrow keys to highlight Hardware and Sound and press Enter.
(Or, click Hardware and Sound.)
Step 4: Under Tablet PC Settings use the arrow keys to highlight Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input, and press Enter.
(Or, click Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input.)
Step 5: Use the Tab key to select the Reset button, and press Enter.
(Or, click Reset.)
If the Reset button is grayed out, your Surface touch calibration is still at factory settings and you can move to Solution 3.
Step 6: Use the Tab key to select Yes, press Enter, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
(Or, click Yes, and then follow the instructions on the screen.)
Step 7: After Surface removes recalibration data, test touch input again.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi Fishmort,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read that your HP ENVY 17 needs to be restarted to get the touchscreen working correctly after Windows 8.1 upgrade. Here is a fix to resolve the Touchscreen.

Open Device Manager by pressing the Windows key + X, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
In Device Manager, locate the device you want to update, and then double-click the device name.
Click the Driver tab, and then click Rollback Driver and follow the instructions.

Restart the computer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Mrstenter..... thank you for the attempt.

In Device Manager - the Rollback Tab is unavailable for clicking.  I tried to search for updates, but it states it is already up to date.

Not certain the update to 8.1 was culprit. Memory serves that it was occuring before, too.

Could there be another solution ?

HP Recommended

Hi Fishmort,

Thank you for the additional information. Here is a link to you can refresh your PC without deleting any of your personal files or changing your settings in Windows 8.1.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Ok.... I did the refresh computer. Figured it would not solve, and it did not.

I have to start computer, then turn right around and hit restart in order to be able to use touch with the screen.

I appreciate your earlier attempts..... have any other ideas ?

HP Recommended

Hey Fishmort,

I was wondering  what model your laptop is. Here is a fix for Touchscreen issues from Microsoft. Maybe it will help.

Solution 2: Reset touchscreen calibration

The touchscreen shouldn’t need recalibration, but if you or another user has recalibrated it, it may affect the performance of the touchscreen.

Here’s how to check or restore the factory default calibration using a keyboard or mouse:

Step 1: Press the Windows logo key Windows logo key + S to open Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search Search charm.)
Step 2: Type Control Panel, then use the arrow keys to highlight Control Panel, and press Enter.
(Or, click Control Panel.)
Step 3: In Control Panel, use the arrow keys to highlight Hardware and Sound and press Enter.
(Or, click Hardware and Sound.)
Step 4: Under Tablet PC Settings use the arrow keys to highlight Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input, and press Enter.
(Or, click Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input.)
Step 5: Use the Tab key to select the Reset button, and press Enter.
(Or, click Reset.)
If the Reset button is grayed out, your Surface touch calibration is still at factory settings and you can move to Solution 3.
Step 6: Use the Tab key to select Yes, press Enter, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
(Or, click Yes, and then follow the instructions on the screen.)
Step 7: After Surface removes recalibration data, test touch input again.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Dear Mrs. Tenter,

That one seemed to have solved my issue.

Now the Touch part of the Touchsmart, is working upon awakening my confuser. Haven't had to restart it first thing.

It is an Envy laptop deal from Wally World. They usually have something good enough, but their return policy is to die for. Bought a Gateway desk top, and it worked for a few days and quit. Then a Dell all in one with touchscreen, and it lasted seven days and wouldn't recognize the keyboard or mouse. Both returned with no hassles. Got this thing and have been happy ever since, more so now; you understand.

It is without a doubt the nicest confuser I have ever had. My girlfriend is learning Windows 8, and doing well because of the Touchsmart screen. Doesn't own a smart phone, so all really is new.

I cast aside the installed Norton, and decided to try just the Microsoft Defender. Need to read. Have any suggestions ?

HP Recommended

I followed the instructiongs to re-calibrate the touch screen, it seemed to work I then shut the lid to take the laptop downstairs when I got there I opened the lid and the Touch Screen was non responsive again. I had to reboot the system inorder for the HP to know that it was a touch screen laptop.

HP Envy 15.6" 15-J007cl

AMD A10

Windows 8.1

-Thanks

AkWIngnut

HP Recommended

Hi Akwingnut,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j007cl Notebook and not being able to use the Touchscreen. Here is a document on how to perform a refresh on Windows 8.1.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi there I have taken a photo of the system once rebooted and it shows the areas to reset and recalibrate as being grayed out and also stating that this device was not a touch screen enabled device. Not sure why it would do that, once rebooted it worked fine. I will try your way tonight when I get home

-AkWingnut

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.