Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I try to connect my brand new Z27 monitor to my new Spectre x360 laptop over a USB-C port using the USB-C 3.1 cable that was included in the delivery of the monitor.  I'm updating stuff (BIOS, drivers) however I just don't get it working. If I connect the monitor with a HDMI cable it works fine. Any suggestions what could be the problem? I suppose I do not need any extra adapters between the USB-C port of the laptop en the USB-C 3.1 cable? And I suppose the Spectre x360 to be supporting video signals over the 2 USB-C ports it has? 

HP Spectre x360 - 15-df1550nd
Product: 8AQ36EA#ABH

HP Z27 27-inch 4K UHD-monitor
Product: 2TB68A4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, I updated the driver for the Intel® UHD Graphics 630 with a DHC driver from Intel Corporation and now the UCB-C connection is functioning and the monitor is connected to the laptop,

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Well, I updated the driver for the Intel® UHD Graphics 630 with a DHC driver from Intel Corporation and now the UCB-C connection is functioning and the monitor is connected to the laptop,

HP Recommended
As mentioned in my previous post, I updated the Intel Graphics Driver with the newest (generic) driver from Intel Corporation.

Description:
This download installs the Intel® Graphics Driver for 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th generation, Apollo Lake, Gemini Lake, Amber Lake, Whiskey Lake, Comet Lake, and Lakefield.
Version:
Release date:
September 15, 2020
Size:
338.22 MB

Installing this Intel generic graphics driver will overwrite any customized driver from your Computer Manufacturer (OEM).

OEM drivers are handpicked, customized, and validated to resolve platform-specific issues, enable features and enhancements, and improve system stability. Intel’s generic graphics drivers are intended for testing, and we recommend using drivers from Hewlett-Packard (HP). Report any issues found with this driver to Intel.

As the warning says, this generic driver could generate problems. The generic driver resolved the USB-C connectivity with the screen, however, I believe HP software is rolling this back by reinstalling the customized drivers. This is very annoying as this means I'm unable to use my Z27 monitor over UCB-C again. Is there a customized driver for my laptop?

HP Recommended

@Joris_VRM All updates designed for your device are mentioned in this link: click here to view,

there are no other drivers from any other sources that HP recommends using, that said, to understand what kind of USB Type-C would work with your device, refer to this article: click here.

Also, to answer your question, generic drivers will overwrite the HP designed drivers and is not recommended by HP.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher Thank you for your reply and the clear mention of the location of where to find updates designed for my device. I remember visiting that page in my search for a solution to get the thunderbolt controller up to date and to update the graphics drivers. In the end it was by installing the generic Intel driver that the monitor got connected over the USB-C port. Also Intel Corporation gives a warning that generic drivers can be more unstable than HP designed drivers, however all was running for about a week until yesterday. I don't know exactly what caused the hiccup and for now I can't find a solution but to connect my monitor over the HDMI port.

Looking at the device specific updates (and retrying some of them), I can only think of the update to Windows 10 v2004 as being the cause of the problem. All latest device specific updates refer to Windows 10 v1909 e.g. reinstalling the Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver (Windows 10 v1909) results in a warning that the driver is not supported on this OS version (10.0.19041) and the same for the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1909). I tried rolling back the Windows update, but that didn't solve the problem and I prefer to have the latest windows version concerning security patches and stuff. So now my question is whether device specific updates for the Spectre will become available for Windows 10 v2004?

Thanks again for looking into this and a great day to you too.

HP Recommended

@Joris_VRM I'm afraid you are right about this being an issue with the v2004 updates,

that said, under these circumstances, there are only two options,

• You can either wait for the update to be released (which may take some time from what I'm told (not sure when it would be released)
  • Or, you can downgrade the windows, and disable auto updates for the time being and continue using the device as you had been instead.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

See reply below.

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher,

Today I restarted my system with my monitor connected over USB-C only, and for now everything seems to work smoothly.

On 2020-10-09 HP added several components and an extension:

• HP Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 1.25.2067.0
  • HP Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 4.2.256.0
  • HP Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 10/30/2018 12:00:00 AM - 2.1.8.1
  • HP Development Company, L.P. - Extension - 7/29/2019 12:00:00 AM - 2.1.11.1

There were also some older updates related to the Windows 10 version 2004 .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8, however I suppose the HP updates did the trick?

Kind regards and solved for now.

HP Recommended

@Joris_VRM

Thank you for the update.

In the future, if you have any other concerns. Please get back to us. We will assist you.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.