Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
15-an050nr Star Wars Special Edition Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I try to video conference in Facebook or Google Hangouts, the camera and microphone do not work.  After clicking to open the meeting, a message about the microphone not installed comes up. I have gone through all the HP and Microsoft settings, the settings on all of the web browsers I tried, Engage and Chrome, the settings in the system settings, the microphone and speaker test checks okay, checked the latest camera driver in device manager, tried a substitute headset, and on and on.   

Here is the kicker, the webcam and microphone work excellent in Skype.  Both the notebook microphone and speaker, and headset work fine with the webcam in Skype.  No problems at all.  As far as playing videos on websites, FB, YouTube, etc., there are no problems.

Computer is HP Star Wars Special Edition Notebook, 15-an050nr

PN is N5R61UA

Notebook has been updated with all HP and Windows latest updates.

And NO, this notebook does not have the webcam kill switch.

Thank you for any fixes suggested.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@GuyBelleman 

Might be a permission setting in camera / webcam...

Webcam “Kill” switch

• Certain computers include a "kill switch" to switch on / off the webcam / camera.
  • Location of the switch might be on the side of the notebook case.
  • Find and Open your computer's Service Guide or User Guide to see an illustration of the various components on your system.

and / or

Check microphone and camera permissions

Settings > Privacy >

Check / Adjust settings for

Camera

and

Microphone

And / Or

Click Windows key > Search for microphone privacy settings

Click / Select Allow access to the microphone on this device

Switch ON Allow apps to access your microphone

Internal Microphone Enable

Control Panel > icon view > Sound

Tab Recording

Tap Internal Microphone to highlight

Properties

Device usage > (Select) Use this device (enable)

Apply / OK to save changes

HP Documents:

HP PCs - Webcam Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎

HP Notebook PCs - Testing a Webcam Using YouCam (Windows 10, 8, 7)

and / or

HP Community presents:  Home Office Setup

Selected article includes help for a variety of issues, including setting up the home office workspace, cleaning, using Zoom and related applications.  There is also a section to address Webcam issues (camera drama).

Are you working from home too? Let’s figure it out together.

Contributed by  Wes_notebooks

and / or

HP PCs - Webcam Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎

And

Webcam not found/working on HP Spectre x360 or HP ENVY (x360) | 0xA00F4244<NoCamerasAreAttached>

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Star Wars Special Edition Notebook - 15-an050nr (ENERGY STAR)

OR

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Checked all of that again, no change.  

On searching the many other users that are having trouble with the Webcam (HP Truevision hd), I found it interesting that the driver is by Microsoft and last updated in 2006.   Can't that be updated?  That is well before many of the other HP and Windows updates and is suspect, in my mind.

I have checked all the setting many, many times.  The camera  doesn't work in FB video call and Google Hangouts, and the computer brings up a microphone missing message.  With the drivers being Microsoft, perhaps it is a MS problem and not an HP problem, although I hope HP would take some action to fix the many webcam problems I am seeing be posted.  

Meanwhile, my problem is still not fixed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.