Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 17t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm setting up a new Envy 17t, using Windows 10.  The touch pad gets in my way when typing.  I'd like to turn off the touch pad either all the time, or when an external mouse is pluged in.  I've tried all other suggestions.  I cannot seem to find anywhere to turn off the touch pad, in hardware settings or Window's 10.  I've done this on other systems, both HP and other brands.  Not sure why it isn't available for Envy 17t.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@HeyItsme1,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Try double tapping on the top left of the trackpad this should disable the touchpad. Just double tap at the same place to enable the touchpad.

Figure : TouchPad On/Off Switch

TouchPad On/Off Switch

However, if you would like to disable the tocuhad from the Windows then please follow the below steps:

1. In the Windows search box, type TouchPad.

From the results list click TouchPad settings.

2. Click Additional settings.

Figure : Clicking Additional settings

Clicking Additional settings on the Touchpad window

3. To disable the Touchpad when using a USB mouse, check Disable external pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached.

Figure : Disabling the Touchpad

Disabling the Touchpad when a USB mouse is in use

4. To determine if the icon for the Touchpad is displayed in the taskbar, and if it is, how it appears, make the appropriate selection under Tray Icon.

Figure : Tray Icon settings

Tray Icon settings

If the issue persists uninstall the touchpad drivers from device manager and update the BIOS and touchpad drivers from the link below.

You can update the drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Refer this document to further troubleshoot touchpad issues with your PC.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, but neither solution you provided works on my Envy 17t.

Tapping on the upper left corner does nothing on my new Envy 17t.  I have an older Envy laptop that this is an option.  That machine is also about 7 years old.

When I try the 2nd option, my screens look nothing like what you have supplied. 

Touchpad 1.pngtouchpad 2.pngtouchpad 3.png

I'll try downloading drivers, etc.  at a later time as I know these things can take a while.  Since it appears there may not be any driver loaded.  I shouldn't have to do this for a brand new laptop right out of the box.  I've been purchasing HP computers for many many years, for personal and professional use and I have never had issues with hardware drivers not being installed.

Thanks for trying.

HP Recommended

@HeyItsme1,

Let's try to uninstall the touchpad drivers from Device manager: 

1. Press Windows key + X and go to Device Manager.
  2. In the Device Manager window find your touchpad drivers.
  3. Right-click them, and select Uninstall.
  4. Select the option to delete the driver package from the system.
  5. Restart the computer.

Now, go ahead and update the Bios, Chipset and touchpad drivers on your PC either from our HP support website, using this link or download it using HP Support Assistant.

To download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Now try to follow the steps from the previous post to go ahead and turn off the touchpad from Windows. 

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

How do I save everything (can it be done?) before I go about doing this? 

What happens if this screws other things up? 

What if there are already other things "not right" or aren't installed properly?  How do I know?

Everything states the drivers are installed and working properly.

Again, why is this my responsibility?  I purchased this PC directly from HP on line. 

I saw others have had this issue, has anyone else tried these steps?  Did it work?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

No offence Jeet, you gave me the wrong solution the first time. 

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, @HeyItsme1,

Answering to your question regarding How do I save everything (can it be done?) before I go about doing this? You don't have to save anything, as you're just reinstalling the drivers. 

This is not going to affect your personal data. 

Please try the steps suggested and get back to us with the results for further assistance. 

I'll be more than glad to assist you.

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.