Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 15-df0002na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a HP Spectre x360 laptop with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti adaptor. I also have an external usb-c monitor Asus MB169C+.

The monitor worked fine before the latest big Windows 10 update (2004, May 2010 update).

I have tested the monitor and cable on another laptop and it works fine.

The monitor is detected by Windows and can be seen in the Display settings, but you cannot change any settings and the Display info says the Display is inactive.

Connecting a normal screen via the HDMI port using the same Nvidia adaptor works fine.

Upon plugging the screen in, it powers up ok, shows the Asus logo, then No signal and switches off again.

Asus are offering no help and insist the screen is compatible with the latest Windows release.

I have checked drivers, bios settings, etc and just not getting anywhere.

All help greatly appreciated.

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

@bluefusion Here's what I suggest you do:

Perform a system restore and check if that works: click here for details.

If the issue persists, try this:

To resolve this issue, perform the appropriate option to install the Windows Update:

Refer to the Microsoft article for more information: USB devices may stop working after installing the February 13, 2018 update (KB4074588) 

Option 1: Restoring your computer with a working input device and a network connection is available:

If you have a network connection and a working input device, such as a touchscreen, wireless mouse, or a wireless or PS keyboard, follow the steps install the update to restore USB functionality:

1. Select the Start button.

2. Select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update.

3. Select Check for updates.

4. Install KB4090913.

Install.
  5. Restart Windows.

Or refer to the link below to manually download and install the appropriate version from Microsoft's website.

Microsoft®Update Catalog

Option 2: For computers that are not able to trigger Windows Update because the USB input devices are not working.

If your computer was originally shipped with Windows 10:

1. Power on the computer.

2. Press the F11 key during the pre-boot process.

3. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.

4. Follow the on-screen instruction to launch the admin Command Prompt.

5. Type the following command: dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17.

Note: If Windows is not stored on the C: drive, replace the C: in the above commands with the appropriate drive letter.

6. Close the Command Prompt and click Continue to exit the Recovery Environment.

7. Restart the computer, sign into windows and check USB functionality.

Important: To ensure the computer has the latest security updates, reinstall the updates as soon as possible.

8. Click the Start button.

9. Select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update.

10. Select Check for updates and install the latest updates.

If the computer is upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1:

1. Use a non-impacted computer to download the Microsoft KB4090913 update.

Download the Windows 10 KB4090913 x64_3bc0210aa8b3e6ff99c876c8df45d3d6900c6f32.msu" file to a USB key from the Microsoft Update Catalog link (listed above Option 2).

2. Power on the impacted computer and press F11 during Pre-Boot (POST).

3. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions to launch the admin Command Prompt.

5. Insert the USB key with the downloaded file, Windows10.0-KB4090913-x64_3bc0210aa8b3e6ff99c876c8df45d3d6900c6f32.msu.

6. Run the following commands:

7. Type c: and press Enter.

8. Type mkdir scratch and press Enter.

9. Type d: and press Enter.

10. Type dir to confirm this is the USB key where the Windows 10 KB4090913-x64_3bc0210aa8b3e6ff99c876c8df45d3d6900c6f32.msu update is stored (do the same for other drive letters in case the USB drive is not found on d:).

11. Type x: and press Enter.

12. Type x: \Windows\System32\dism.exe /ScratchDir=c:\scratch /image:c:\ /add-package /PackagePath=d:\Windows10.0-KB4090913-x64_3bc0210aa8b3e6ff99c876c8df45d3d6900c6f32.msu.

NOTE: d:\ is the drive letter that you find in step 3.

13. Wait for the installation to complete, may take few minutes.

14. Type x:\Windows\System32\ and type del c:\scratch.

15. Restart the Computer.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue with the same laptop. I was right in the middle of using my external monitors (2 sceptres) when, my  guess the windows update finished and was running automatically in the background, and then all of a sudden my monitors went black. I tried a system restore to a couple days back and it worked. However, a couple hours later, my latptop automatically updated again and now I'm back at the same problem. I've noticed my ethernet internet connection still get's picked up through the USB C port, but for some reason it doesn't send out the display signal anymore.

HP Recommended

@peebz I suggest you create a new user account and check if that works, also, did you go through all the steps suggested to the OP? Keep me posted!

Also, there are times when Windows releases a patch via another update that resolves such issues, so please install all available windows updates and get back to me with the results.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried option 1 which I downloaded the patch from Microsoft. When it started to execute, it said the patch was not applicable to my computer and quit. I tried it twice with no avail. Option 2 scared me a little bit as I didn't want to mess with the coding and do something I wouldn't be able to reverse. I don't understand what Option 2 is actually doing. Can you fill me in?

Also I figured,  Microsoft will issue a fix....hopefully.... but I don't know how long it will take and I need to use my dual screen everyday. I restored back again (prior to the update), and set my internet connection to metered so it wouldn't automatically update. 

I'll try the new user account as well and let you know if that works.

HP Recommended

@peebz The steps/option 2 is to force update, if the windows update application doesn't work or pull up any updates,

that said, please try the user account at your convenience and keep us posted with the results, good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried option 1 with the KB download but as the other user said windows will not allow you to install as its not applicable to my Windows version. The other options you mentioned are not applicable to my situation.

I tried creating a new user profile but still same problem.

I would suggest, based on the fact that I'm not seeing reports of any other similar problems with other hardware that this is a compatibility issue between the latest Windows 10 and the HP laptop hardware.

What can we try next?

HP Recommended

@bluefusion You are right, it could be the USB driver required for the latest windows 10 update, unfortunately one isn't available yet, you will need to either wait for it to be released on the HP website / get notifications via the HP Support Assistant or downgrade the windows 10 back to last version and disable auto-updates until an update is available.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Any updates on this? I lost my restore point and so I'm now back at square zero again. I've been updating everyday to see if a new driver has come through, but nothing that appears to have fixed the problem yet. Any idea how long it takes for one of these drivers to be released?

HP Recommended

@peebz You don't have to update every day, just install the HP Support Assistant and continue with your life, if and when there's an update, it would automatically install the same: click here for details, that said, I'm afraid I don't have any updates on the same.

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.