Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP14-r242TU
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Cannot change brightness using either hotkeys or from Display settings. The option is not present in the display settings. Very uncomfortable to eyes. Hotkeys drivers are not available for my model on HP site, and also I tries uninstalling the driver in Device Manager and uninstalled PnP Monitor and refreshed it, tried to install display adapters but no luck. The display it shows it VGA and not any Intel series driver.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Aditya.

I didn't see that you are running W7 32 bit on there.

Your notebook is not supported for 32 bit operating systems, which is why you are getting that error and no graphics drivers are  working.

So, what you need to do is to manually install the W7 32 bit graphics driver directly from Intel as follows...

First, create a system restore point so that you can roll back to the current graphics driver you have installed, just in case the updated driver does not work to your expectations.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027538/windows-create-a-system-restore-point

Next, download and save the Intel HD graphics driver ZIP file for W7 32 bit.  That would be the last file listed on the left.

This is the latest driver as of 10/23/2020:  15.40.47.5166 

Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Unzip the graphics driver file to its folder. Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

To unzip the file, right click on the graphics driver zip file you downloaded, and select Extract All.

Go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category

Click on the Intel HD graphics adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and then at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have Disk, and browse to the unzipped graphics driver folder>Graphics>igdlh (setup information file), click Next, and the driver should install.

Be patient, as it can take a few minutes for the driver to completely install.

When the installation is finished, restart the PC.

To update the Intel HDMI audio driver to the latest version, go to the device manager, click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device manager category.

Click on the Intel HD audio device listed there.   It might just be labeled as a HD audio device. Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the unzipped Intel graphics driver main folder.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked, and the driver will install.

Then restart the PC.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

From what you wrote, it seems that you need to install the correct Intel graphics driver and restart the PC.

Then you should be able to adjust the brightness after you see an Intel HD graphics adapter listed in the device manager.

I believe this is the graphics driver you need...

This package provides the driver that enables the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp69501-70000/sp69587.exe

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for responding to my query, I tried downloading and installing the driver you provided however, it gives me a message stating "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software"

The graphics adapter I see is only Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and nothing as Intel driver.

Any clue why I'm not able to install these softwares?

My system config is 4GB RAM and i3 4th Gen clhip. Have sufficient amount of space on my drives too.

Thanks again

Cheers,

Aditya 

HP Recommended

I didn't see that you are running W7 32 bit on there.

Your notebook is not supported for 32 bit operating systems, which is why you are getting that error and no graphics drivers are  working.

So, what you need to do is to manually install the W7 32 bit graphics driver directly from Intel as follows...

First, create a system restore point so that you can roll back to the current graphics driver you have installed, just in case the updated driver does not work to your expectations.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027538/windows-create-a-system-restore-point

Next, download and save the Intel HD graphics driver ZIP file for W7 32 bit.  That would be the last file listed on the left.

This is the latest driver as of 10/23/2020:  15.40.47.5166 

Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Unzip the graphics driver file to its folder. Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

To unzip the file, right click on the graphics driver zip file you downloaded, and select Extract All.

Go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category

Click on the Intel HD graphics adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and then at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have Disk, and browse to the unzipped graphics driver folder>Graphics>igdlh (setup information file), click Next, and the driver should install.

Be patient, as it can take a few minutes for the driver to completely install.

When the installation is finished, restart the PC.

To update the Intel HDMI audio driver to the latest version, go to the device manager, click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device manager category.

Click on the Intel HD audio device listed there.   It might just be labeled as a HD audio device. Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the unzipped Intel graphics driver main folder.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked, and the driver will install.

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

There you go!

I was able to install the Intel driver which was not seen earlier and now can adjust brightness. This is such a relief to me and my eyes. 😛

Thank you very much for your help Paul, I really appreciate it. You are an expert in your field, keep it up 🙂

Cheers,

Aditya

HP Recommended

Have a great weekend!

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.