2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to start video driver

HP Spectre x360 - 13-ae019nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone, 

Today my laptop screen turned black for a while and then recovered. After some time it did the same, while I was playing video games, but it didn't recover so I had to turn the laptop off. After I rebooted, I received a notification stating " unable to start video driver. The Microsoft base video driver will be used from now on. Check on Windows Update for a recent driver." 

But there is no more recent driver than the one I already have installed. So I tried reinstalling it but nothing changed. So I don't know how to solve this problem. I have a HP Spectre x360 - 13-ae019nl 

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me

3 REPLIES 3
Level 20
Level 20
113,296 103,473 16,279 24,999
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to read my knowledgebase article at the link below for how to manually update the Intel graphics driver to the latest version.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-the-Latest-HD-Graphics-Driver-from-I...

I suggest that you back up any files you don't want to lose onto a portable hard drive prior to trying this approach. 

The screen turning black and the Intel graphics driver not reinstalling is not a good thing.

In your case, you would click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter to update the driver, since the Intel HD graphics adapter driver is not installed.

0 Kudos
Rubenighe
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If this thing doesn't work out, do you know if all of this is covered by the legal HP warranty?

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
113,296 103,473 16,279 24,999
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know since I don't work for or represent HP.

You would need to contact HP customer service in Italy to find out.

https://www8.hp.com/it/it/contact-hp/contact.html

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation