Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6t-3100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried connecting a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop to an external monitor and it did not get any signal. The monitor was taken from a desktop where it was working.

The laptop has a integrated Intel graphics card 512MB which it is using and a dedicated graphic card AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series 512MB which is not used.

I checked the laptop BIOS but it does not seem to have a way to switch from the integrated graphic card to the AMD card. The integrated graphics card seems to support only one monitor, which is the laptop screen. It is running Windows 10 Home 64 bit and when I disabled the integrated Intel graphics card from Windows device manager, it did not switch to the AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series graphic card but went blank.

When I press F4 (or Fn+F4), I do not see any screen with options like Disconnect, Duplicate, Extend and Projector Only.

1. Can an external monitor be connected to this laptop powered by the AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series graphic card?

2. Is there a way that the integrated Intel graphics card can support the external monitor?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@p_s_92

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand you need help connecting your monitor to the HP Notebook

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you know that the dual graphics cannot be manually switched and is system managed?

Also, have you checked with another cable such as HDMI, VGA or DVI?

While you respond to that, here are a few things you need to know for Connecting a Monitor, Projector, or TV to your laptop using (Windows 10, 8, 7) -

• Choosing the right location for your computer display
  • Types of video connectors for computer display devices
  • Using adapters to connect a display to your computer
  • Setting display properties to use additional displays
  • Switch between displays using notebook function keys
  • Setting display resolution

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you for your message and welcome note! I appreciate it.

I checked using two other working HDMI cables but the external monitor does not show up when you detect displays in Windows.

When does the system switch to the AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series card and what needs to be done for it?

Your assistance to folks like me is highly appreciated.

HP Recommended

@p_s_92

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

it's possible the HDMI port on the laptop isn't working, I suggest you check with another cable such as VGA or display port if you have any port as such,

That said, I'm afraid there's nothing that can be done for the switchable graphics as it's system managed, to know more about it: Click here

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you for your message. The community appreciates all your efforts to aid folks like me.

I will check using the other ports on the computer.

I appreciate your advice and time.

Have a good week!

HP Recommended

@p_s_92

Thank you for replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

NOTE: THE PRIVATE MESSAGE BOARD IS NOT ALWAYS MONITORED,
WE PREFER IF YOU COULD USE THE PUBLIC POST UNLESS SUGGESTED OTHERWISE. 😉

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.