Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavillion dv4 laptop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

1) A couple of months ago 3 vertical lines have appeared on left of laptop screen.  Then the last couple of weeks all of a sudden the entire screen turns into a grey color with vertical lines.  Happened three times already and don't know what to do.  Not too computer saavy (I'm a senior) and will bring it in for repair but I don;t want to get cheated and want to be at least knowledgeable on what it might be.  Read something about an inverter (don't know what this means).  When this happens I obviously turn off the pc wait a couple of minutes and turn it back on.  Just do not know what is causing this.

Perhaps I need to change the screen, is this costly?

2) Also I'm on a wireless network and the pages sometimes have a delay in loading or it says it's not connected.  Have called my provider and they do not know what the problem is.  Fox six mos their service worked fine, all of a sudden it doesn't and of course they blame my pc.  Would anyone know why this would happen intermittently ?

Thanks in advance. Appreciate all of your help..........

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @maxinemaxine1,

Thank you for the quick reply!

There can be multiple reasons why you would have this issue.  Software wise, it may be related to Malicious Software.  Or perhaps your drivers need to be updated.  Hardware wise, the Graphics Card may be failing. Or it is possible that the display cable is not connected properly, or is defective.  It is also possible that the display panel it self is damaged.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @maxinemaxine1,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!

I came across your post about the display issue, and wanted to help!  I understand that the display have vertical lines, and you are also having trouble with the WiFi.

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number: HP Customer Support - Products

In the meantime, the issue with the display may be software related.  First, try reviewing the following document, and let me know if it helps:

HP PCs - Error: Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered (Windows 10, 8, 7)

If it does not, you could try opening the notebook to check the hardware components.  However, based on your knowledge of notebooks, this may not be the best solution.  At that point, you may consider sending the notebook in for repair, or contacting HP Phone Support for repair options.  In regards to the WiFi issue, this can be software related as well.  Try going through the steps in this document, and let me know how it goes:

HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

This is what it says per my hp order email confirmation approx 3.7 mos ago -  HP Pavillion dv4t-5100 Entertainment Notebook PC thanks for trying to help me

HP Recommended

In the meantime, the issue with the display may be software related.  First, try reviewing the following document, and let me know if it helps:

HP PCs - Error: Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered (Windows 10, 8, 7)

Reviewed this page and it says NOTHING about the screen going into gray color and turns completely into vertical lines.  Is there something I'm missing or is there a page with an explanation or instructions for this issue?  thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello @maxinemaxine1,

The document is not for your exact issue.  However, it has troubleshooting steps that may help to resolve the issue, based on the information that you provided.  Please go through the steps.  In particular, Steps 2-4, and 8, if nothing else seems to work.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Please just answer the question

What can cause my laptop screen to turn into grey with white lines (kind of mimics the cover of the laptop).  Do not want steps to restart, download or do a complete recovery.  Told you I am not computer saavy on all this.

I am bringing it in for repair just would lie to know some things that may cause this so that I can talk intelligently to them,

Thank you again, appreciate it

HP Recommended

Hello @maxinemaxine1,

Thank you for the quick reply!

There can be multiple reasons why you would have this issue.  Software wise, it may be related to Malicious Software.  Or perhaps your drivers need to be updated.  Hardware wise, the Graphics Card may be failing. Or it is possible that the display cable is not connected properly, or is defective.  It is also possible that the display panel it self is damaged.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

It does help....... thank you very much!

HP Recommended

HI @maxinemaxine1.

OK I deal with type of issue quiet often. First things first.

1. Try plugging your laptop into an external screen - if you need to know how to do this any tech store should be glad to help to show how this is done. This will determine whether your graphics Card is at Fault. If the external screen has a clear picture and no lines then you will need to have the screen replaced.

2. Internet Wireless reasons of lagging. Generally this can be caused by background software receiving updates and also your windows system. But this a theory for now. Tr

HP Recommended

HI @maxinemaxine1.

OK I deal with type of issue quiet often. First things first.

1. Try plugging your laptop into an external screen - if you need to know how to do this any tech store should be glad to help to show how this is done. This will determine whether your graphics Card is at Fault. If the external screen has a clear picture and no lines then you will need to have the screen replaced.

2. Internet Wireless reasons of lagging. Generally this can be caused by background software receiving updates and also your windows system. But this is a theory for now. Try running a Registry fixing software and a defrag and see if that fixes your issue. If problem persist try running a malware clean through unit as you may have some nasty bugs causing issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.