AnOddSpot Top Student
Top Student
5 2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Very small area on screen is white when screen is off, black when on... is this a dead pixel?

HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab29
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new HP Pavilion with a touch screen. Out of the box I noticed there was a white speck on the screen which I couldn't wipe off. When I turned the screen on the speck appears to be black. The speck returns to white when the screen is on, but displaying something dark. This seems to me to be strange behavior for a dead pixel, but I don't know anything about the new touch screens.  I found a 'dead pixel test' online, and against red and green backgrounds the speck appeared black, while the test would indicate that it should appear white were it so.  I think that the speck seems to be 'above' the rest of the screen slightly. Does anyone know what this is?

1 REPLY 1
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 711 1900
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Very small area on screen is white when screen is off, black when on... is this a dead pixel?

Hi @AnOddSpot,

Welcome to the HP Forum! It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I grasp that out of the box, you noticed there was a white speck on the display that you could not remove with cleaning. When you powered it on the speck is black. You stated that the speck returns to white, while powered on, but the area is darker. You located a dead pixel test online and against  the red and green backgrounds, the speck appeared black, while the test would indicate that it should appear white if it was a dead pixel. You believe the speck is above the display.

Here is a link that I think may help.  HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Notebook LCD Panel Issue (Windows 10, 8, 7).  If the issue remains, as you noticed this out of the box, please contact HP Support for assistance. They can remotely connect to your system to help determine if there is damage to the display. Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support .

Thanks! If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos. :catvery-happy:

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation