Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop Model 17-by0062st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been having problems doing video calls on this laptop on wifi.  Video calls using apple or android devices work fine on wifi.  If I plug the laptop into our wifi router, the video calls are fine.   The video and audio will frequently freeze while on wifi.  This happens using Microsoft Teams and Google Hangouts and Zoom. 

My wifi router is an eero router.  The problem happens on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.  My download speeds are typically above 110Mbps and upload speeds are above 10Mbps.  My laptop has a Realteck RTL8821CE 802.11AC PCIe adapter.  

I'm running Win 10, 64 bit, with 8GB of Ram, and an intel i58250U processor running at 1.6Ghz.

If you have any suggestions, I'm glad to hear them.

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@TommyA7018

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Krazytoad - windows 10 is up to date.  I found that I had to update several drivers from the HPSA and did that.  I rebooted and am still having issues with video calls that are freezing.  If you have any other suggestions, I'm open to hearing.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@TommyA7018

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I'm having exactly the same problem on my HP pavillion 14 ce-3xxx. i.e audio calls work fine on all devices except this laptop (in fact never have worked in 2 months or so I've had it). Audio cuts out on my side and recipients side. Connection is 70mbs and as I say works on an 8 year old ipad fine.

My documents are all in the cloud so I could factory reset. However I purchased and installed Microsoft office 365 for life. How do I ensure I can keep this in a factory reset? 

If it still doesn't work and audio calls are a major issue function, clearly the computer isn't up to scratch. How would I claim under warranty?

Paul

HP Recommended

@Royalflush888 You could attempt the steps on this related post before attempting a recovery/reset to factory defaults, click here to view the same,

Also, let me know which app you are using for your video calls, and if you've checked if other applications work fine during a video call?

Please ensure there's enough free space on the drive as low disk space could cause such issues, as well,

Important: Before you make any changes to the registry, make sure to understand that these changes may cause irreversible damage to your current installation if they're not done properly. It's recommended that you do a full backup of your computer before proceeding. 

You've been warned!

1. Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.
  2. Type regedit, and click OK to open the Windows registry.
  3. Browse the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform
  4. Right-click on the right side, select New, and click DWORD (32-bit) Value.

5. Name the new key EnableFrameServerMode.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Double-click the newly created key and make sure it set to 0.

8. Click OK.
  9. Restart your computer to complete the task.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi 

Thanks for the response. Perhaps it is a memory issue. I have had low memory come up before when using Zoom.This seems bizarre because I've only recently purchased this computer used it pretty much only for browsing internet, Microsoft office and attempted video calls.

The available memory is 7.8 GB but even with nothing open other than HP assistant about half the memory is taken up as per task manager which then spikes even higher with video call. I've looked at task manger when on calls and CPU would be at 100% so I thought that might be the issue. I tried making sure every window was shut down before doing a zoom call, restarting the computer and joining zoom without any other applications and reinstalling the apps. Again my other devices don't have this problem

I thought when purchasing this for c£650 it would be able to handle a video call with nothing else going given my computer from about 10 years ago can do it.

As I mention this issue occurs on Zoom and Skype which work fine on every other device (Ipad, girlfriend's computer, phone).

Any suggestions what I could look for and why system memory seems so low greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

HP Recommended

@Royalflush888 Unless, you have no free space left on your hard drive, this cannot be a memory issue, also, you have 8GB of Ram and there's no way a video call would need any more than that, I suggest you run an extensive hardware test to identify any hardware malfunctions and if everything passes, please create a new user account and check if that helps: 

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice. I did the diagnostics test and passed everything. I note you mention to create a new Microsoft account.  I will do this but wanted to check that I won't lose my Microsoft office access that I got a key for. Is it linked to an account or the computer. If all O.K I'll do as suggested and create a new account. Lastly could you let me know what difference this might make creating a new account?Thank you

HP Recommended

@Royalflush888 We are only creating a new account to test, it's not going to be permanent as off now, so go ahead and create it, let me know how that works,

And we'll check the rest, accordingly.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.