cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

Visual/Video Issues with HP Envy Laptop

HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I have been using this HP Envy Laptop for about a year now and never had any problems until Windows 10 showed up on my computer. I don't know if that's the source of this or any other problem; in any event, I have been having more and more visual/video issues lately and at this point I can no longer just make do.

The main problem is that no videos - neither DVDs/Blu-rays inserted/plugged into the computer nor videos downloaded from the Internet - will play in anything (that includes Windows Media Player, VLC, and Cyberlink). The only exception is that videos downloaded from the Internet will play in Windows Media Player. Nothing else plays in anything. And videos that will play in Windows Media Player will not play in anything else.

I have something called Aiseesoft to play Blu-rays and the same thing happens when I try to watch a Blu-ray in Aiseesoft as happens when I try to watch a DVD in VLC: The tracker sticks and doesn't count, the screen is black, and I just hear the audio track. With Aiseesoft, I can actually skip around on the video track and hear the audio at different points, but absolutely no video.

My Skype also won't show me video. If I'm talking to someone on Skype, my software and camera obviously work, because they can see and hear me but I can only hear them, I can never see them. The video chat window is just a white square.

Despite this, I've experienced almost no streaming issues. Stuff like Netflix works perfectly. However, within the last couple of days, some Youtube videos have started refusing to load. At one time, I'll try one and watch it with no problems. Then, two hours later, I'll try to watch the same video and it won't work. And vice-versa. That was the last straw.  I was dealing with only being able to watch streaming-based videos; the recent Youtube issue might be unrelated, but now having streaming issues on top of everything else was the straw that broke this camel's back.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Unfortunately, I'm only a few steps above being technologically retarded, so if you have any suggestions for me, please break them down to their clearest and most explicit steps. For the record, I have something called NVidia and initially found recommendations via Google to try uninstalling and reinstalling that. I tried and it either didn't work or it wasn't the problem.

Any help that anyone can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,930 42,718 6,838 11,954
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We will need the Product or Model number to identify your hardware. I am going to guess it is a video driver issue. 

What is showing up in device manager under display adapters? I am right if it is Microsoft Basic or something like that. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, Huffer. Thank you for responding. It'll take me a little while to shake off the headache from squinting at my product number without my magnifying glass, but I'm pretty sure it says "W2K88UA#ABA." If that doesn't look right, it's possible I squinted incorrectly and one of those 8s is actually a B.

To your question about what it says under display adapters, the following are listed:

Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

Another thing I should've mentioned: After my failed attempt to uninstall and reinstall NVIDIA, I tried to use something called Driver Talent to see if anything was wrong and those two were constantly causing problems. I'd be told I needed to update stuff, I'd try, and it either wouldn't work in Driver Talent or, upon restarting, everything would be the same.

I hope that helps to narrow things down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

m7-u109dx

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forgive me for being dense, Huffer, but as I am far from fluent in tech speak, if "m7-u109dx" is supposed to mean something to me, I'm sorry to say that it doesn't. If there's something that I'm now supposed to do, may I ask that you explain to me what "m7-u109dx" means and what I'm supposed to do?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry that's the model number which I looked up and placed there as a note to myself. I was looking at this on my phone and am not able to do complicated research and links. Now I am at my computer. 

The first thing you want to do is get rid of Driver Talent. Friends do not let friends use driver update utilities. At best they are worthless at worst something darker. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/233115/the-only-way-to-safely-update-your-hardware-drivers-on-windows/

You want to remove whatever drivers are there. You found device manager now right click on the Intel and nVidia and click uninstall device and then when the box pops up check uninstall driver. 

But before you do that have these two driver files on the desktop so you can run them as soon as you reboot. 

Latest nVidia:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp80501-81000/sp80645.exe

Latest Intel:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp80501-81000/sp80664.exe

Install the Intel first, reboot and then install the nVidia. If there are still problems after that we need to take a deeper dive.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the detailed reply, Huffer. I hate to say it after all of your efforts, but unfortunately, this didn't change anything. For the play-by-play:

The first thing I did was uninstall Intel and Nvidia like you said. I restarted my computer, but when I went back to the Device Manager, Nvidia was still showing there, although it said it had been stopped because of a "Code 43." I uninstalled it again and I guess the second time was the charm.

Then I moved on to installing the Intel thing you linked me to. On the first try, my computer crashed in the middle of the download. The screen just went blue and there was a white sad face - the old school colon and left parenthesis thing : ( - telling me that my computer had a problem but that they'd take care of it for me and restart. It went away too fast for me to get to my phone and take a picture of the error message, but I saw something like "System Exception." Anyway, my computer restarted itself and I tried to install Intel again and, once again, the second time was the charm.

As for Nvidia, when I first tried to install it, I got an error message telling me that other installations were underway and that I couldn't download Nvidia until they were finished. I wasn't installing anything else, so I don't know what that was about, but I restarted the computer again, tried again, and, big surprise, the second time was the charm yet again.

However, after all of that, my problems are exactly the same. If you have the time and can come up with a second option, I'll be ready for round two whenever you are.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me with this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well it is so borked up that the only thing to do now is a factory recovery just to get it back to ground 0. 

Have you ever made the factory recovery usb drive? HP Backup and Recovery is the app you need to use. 

Even before that can you tap esc as you power up, go to F2 diagnostics and run a full test on anything you can find particularly hard drive (storage) memory and video? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I gather that having to go back to ground zero is a very bad sign (of what? meltdown? virus?) but the rest of your post confused me a bit.

1) If I wanted to do a factory recovery, how would I go about doing that?

2) No, I've never done anything with my USB. And when I searched my computer for "HP Backup and Recovery," nothing came up. How do I get that?

3) If I wanted to try the test you're talking about, what does "power up" mean? Am I restarting my computer again and then tapping esc when it comes back or am I shutting it down completely?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Last one first. Turn the computer off using the Windows shutdown button not the power button (you know that, right?). Let it sit for a second now hit the power on button and immediately begin tapping esc. You will get a menu and F2 will be one of the options. Choose that. You will see a menu and one thing is component tests. Go into that and start testing stuff. 

Once you do that we will come back and deal with the other things. 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation