Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi there, It seems I'm no the only ne with this problem.

I have  a HP Pavilion dv7-4295us Entertainment Notebook PC, and when i open Hp MediaSmart Webcam it shows the same alert as many other people: "No webcam detected. Try plugin in a webcam into  your computer now. If you are using  an integrated webcam , make sure that is turned ON"

I went to the Support & Drivers section, found my notebook model, but there's no new hp mediasmart soft to download, (only one for tv and dvd).

I have HP Mediasmart version 3.1.2.2

If anyone can help, it'd be awsome!

THX!

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended
The drivers for the Imaging devices , which include the webcam, should be displayed in the Device Manager. If no webcam driver is listed, run the Windows Update and then check again for the USB Video Device driver in the Device Manager.
  • Click Start , type Device Manager , and select Device Manager from the list provided.
  • If there is no Imaging devices entry listed, select Action , then Scan for hardware changes .
  • If the Device Manager does not recognize the existence of the webcam after the scan, there is a hardware issue. Contact HP Technical Support .

If the webcam is recognized after the scan.. Please let us know and we will provide you the next step to perform.

||
    //Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
    HP Recommended

I went to Device Manager and the webcam is there:

devicemanager.PNG

I went to webcam properties and this is wht it says:

properties.PNG

properties2.PNG

properties3.PNG

I also tried updating (right click on the webcam on the device manager) the drivers software by searching automatically, and:

update.PNG

So, i really HAVE NO IDEA what the problem is  :manmad:

HP Recommended
    To test the webcam with Cyberlink YouCam, click Start , type youcam in the search field, and select YouCam from the list. When the application launches, assuming the area in front of the webcam is brightly lit, you will see an image of yourself displayed in the center of the application. You can completed the test to verify the webcam works.

The Microsoft webcam (usbvideo.sys) is the preferred webcam driver for most HP integrated webcams. In Device Manager, it may be named as HP Webcam or Microsoft USB Video Device . After updating to the latest Service Pack for the installed operating system, the driver will be found at
    C:\Windows\system 32\drivers\usbvideo.sys .

1. In the Device Manager, expand the list of Imaging Devices , right-click the webcam driver, and then select Properties .
    2. On the Webcam Properties window, select Update Driver... . Rather than selecting the Search automatically ... option, select the option to Browse the computer ... for desired driver.
    3. When prompted, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer option.
    4. When prompted, select USB Video Device in the Model pane, and then click Next to install the desired webcam driver.

The webcam can only be used by one application at a time. For instance, you cannot launch and use YouCam while doing a video conference with an instant messaging program.
    To resolve this conflict, exit both applications and then start the one webcam application you wish to use.
    ||

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
    HP Recommended

It worked!

Snapshot_20110413.JPG

But i  have a new problem though, I've just downloaded the Cyberlink YouCam Trial version, and it's asking me for uninstall the HP MediaSmart, shall i proceed?

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

Cyberlink YouCam is a full version program provided by HP... and you should not uninstall HP MediaSmart....

||

HP Recommended

welli dont have that cyberlink soft on my computer.... im keeping mediasmart.

thanks

HP Recommended

I have a new Pavilion dv7 6c95dx, bought about 15 april 2012. The webcam did work at least once, because Skype took a picture of me.

I now get the message "Webcam not detected" from Youcam.

I have tried:

-Restoring Windows 7 to a point before the last time the webcam worked.

-Unintalling and reinstalling Cyberlink Youcam.

-Uninstalling iTunes

-The solution in this post.

-HP system restore.

To no avail.

any more ideas?

David

HP Recommended

Okay. I just solved this issue:

Laptop with built-in camera running Windows 7, no Imaging Devices in Hardware Manager.
    Specifically, HP Pavilion dv7-6b56nr with HP TrueVision HD, Neither YouCam nor Facebook IM are working.

Original Problem:

The system was delivered with the symptom: The camera used to work but it hasn't been working for months.

Findings:

I checked the Computer>Properties>Device Manager to find Imaging Devices>... but there was no Imaging Devices.
    When I tried to use Cyberlink YouCam, I was presented with the error: "No webcam detected. Try plugin in a webcam into your computer now. If you are using an integrated webcam , make sure that is turned ON"
    I looked all over to see if there was some kind of camera on/off switch - a nice feature if I had found it, much like the wifi on/off - but I could not find such a feature anywhere.
    I thought maybe it was because Facebook was installed over YouCam and HP Specifically warns about multiple apps accessing the camera.
    So, finally, I booted with Puppy Linux 5.1 to find that it too could not find the built-in web camera.

I decided this was a hardware issue, maybe one of the cables was pinched and broken...

Results:

I found that the connection to the Web Camera within the bezel surrounding the monitor was ajar (slighty pulled out of place).
    I simply push the connector back into its socket and everything is back to as it should be:
    Computer>Properties>Device Manager>Imaging Devices now contains HP TrueVision HD.

Procedure for checking the camera cable:
    I did Part I first but you might be able to just do Part II to access around the display.

Part I: Check the cable at the motherboard.

1. Remove the battery.
    2. Remove the memory/HD/access cover (using the battery slider to start).
    3. Remove 4 long black 2.5mm screws at the four far corners of the laptop.
    4. Remove 9 short black 2.5mm screws (you do not need to remove the 8 more which hold the hard drives in place.)
    5. Remove the CD Player.
    6. Remove the 8 very short silver 2.5mm screws.
    7. Remove the keyboard by prying starting along the top edge, you might start by pushing through from the bottom of the laptop.
    8. Disconnect the keyboard by lifting the hold-down on the connecter on the motherboard.
    8. Remove 2 more short black 2.5 mm screws which were under the keyboard.
    9. Disconnect the 4 visible connections from the motherboard in a similar fashion as you did the keyboard.
    10. Remove the keyboard bezel (which includes the power button, trackpad, and fingerprint reader) by snapping it apart is a similiar fashion as the keyboard, be careful not to break the plastic pieces.
    11. Remove the one more connection which connects to the front USB board.

Good. Now you can check that the camera cable is properly connected to the motherboard - it is the 6-wire cable wraped along with the video cable.

12. You may snap out the speaker that is between the keyboard and the monitor to get a better view of the cables as they enter the hinge.

Part II: Check the cable at the camera.

1. Remove the two sticker-covers hiding two short black 2.5mm screws, remove the two screws.
    2. Snap off the bezel around the monitor, be careful as the grey-plastic hinge covers are (kind-of) rivited to the black bezel, also be careful not to break the plastic or snap the bezel in half.

Perfect. Now you can check that the cable is properly fitted into the camera board. This was the issue for me.

Part III: Testing

1. Reconnect the three connectors for the keyboard bezel (don't worry about the front usb board for testing).
    2. No need to resnap the bezel in place for testing..
    3. Reconnect the keyboard connector, again no need to resnap for
    4. Plug in the power, power up
    5. Goto Computer>Properties>Device Manager>Imaging Devices... Success?
    6. Double check with you webcam software.
    7. If everything works put it back together but double check once or twice along the way, assuming the the connector might fall out or there might be some short that the covers are causing...

Part IV: Not for me because I didn't need to go this far.

If both connectors appear properly seated and the camera still does not work, maybe the cable is broken: If you happen to have another cable just sitting around, use that..... 😛

HP Recommended

The drivers for the Imaging devices , which include the webcam, should be displayed in the Device Manager. If no webcam driver is listed, run the Windows Update and then check again for the USB Video Device driver in the Device Manager.

• Click Start , type Device Manager , and select Device Manager from the list provided.
    • If there is no Imaging devices entry listed, select Action , then Scan for hardware changes .

If the Device Manager does not recognize the existence of the webcam after the scan, there is a hardware issue. Contact HP Technical Support .

If the webcam is recognized after the scan.. Please let us know and we will provide you the next step to perform. 

I am tried the last line kindly do the need full

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.